Golfer Rory McIlroy's achievement in becoming the youngest winner of the US Open for nearly a century has been honoured with an MBE.
McIlroy, 22, is joined by fellow Northern Irishman Darren Clarke who, aged 42, won his first golf major this year. Clarke, who won The Open Championship at Royal St George's, is created OBE.
Harold "Dickie" Bird, 78, the former umpire, is appointed OBE for services to cricket and charity. Nigel Mansell, the former F1 champion, is created CBE for his work with young people, and Giles Clarke, chairman of the England and Wales Cricket Board, is appointed CBE following England's rise to the top of the world rankings. Chris Paterson, Scotland's most capped rugby union player, and Jamie Peacock, England's league captain, are appointed MBEs.
New Year Honours List 2012:
* Knights Bachelor
* Order of the Bath
* Royal Victorian Order, Royal Victorian Medal, and Colonial Police and Fire Service Medal
* Order of the British Empire, Civil - GBE, DBE, CBE
* Order of the British Empire, Civil - OBE
* Order of the British Empire, Civil - MBE
* Diplomatic Services and Overseas List
* Military Division