How six would-be record-breakers ended up in seriously deep water

Container ship saves crew cast adrift on life rafts after their Atlantic crossing turns into a scramble for survival

Click to follow

Six men hoping to become the first to row the Atlantic in less than 30 days have been saved after their boat capsized.

Mark Beaumont, 29, who was writing a blog for The Independent about the voyage, and the crew of the Sara G were rescued in the Caribbean yesterday after three hours adrift in life rafts.

The skipper, Matt Craughwell, said their boat had begun to take on water after being tossed, stern upwards, by huge waves. "It happened so quickly. Three of us were inside the cabins when the boat went over. She was taking on water very very quickly," he told the BBC.

The crew, who set off from Morocco on 2 January, were 27 days into their 2,500-mile trip when the 36ft (11.1m) Sara G overturned 520 miles from their destination port of St Charles, Barbados. They were unable to right the waterlogged craft and abandoned it.

Their electronic distress beacon was picked up by coastguards in Falmouth, Cornwall, who worked with officials in Martinique to divert a 32,000-tonne cargo ship, the Nord Taipei, to help. The Panamanian vessel picked up the stranded men early yesterday.

Mr Craughwell added: "One of the rowers was in the upturned boat for about 15 seconds because we couldn't remove his feet from the harnesses. It was quite a relief when she capsized and we called the names and everybody responded. All six crew made it out, and for the next 15 minutes we battled to get the life rafts out and secured to the boats and set off one of the emergency evacuation signals.

"To be honest, frightened is a word I wouldn't use. It was a flight or fight response from everybody."

Mr Beaumont, of Perthshire, has described the gruelling Atlantic Odyssey challenge in his Independent blog . The men rowed in shifts of two hours on, two hours off, for 24 hours a day. For nearly a month, none of them slept for more than two hours at a time. "This is, without comparison, the toughest expedition of my life," said Mr Beaumont, who cycled around the world in a record-breaking 194 days in 2008.

Although bad weather had already hampered Sara G's progress, the team was within reach of breaking the 30-day record for an Atlantic crossing, which is considered the "four-minute mile" of ocean rowing. Mr Craughwell said it was "too early for disappointment" and the crew were simply grateful to be alive.

The other rowers are Ian Rowe, 45, from Bedford; Aodhan Kelly, 26, from Dublin; Simon Brown, 37, of Wiltshire; and Yaacov Mutnikas, of Berkshire. They must now wait for the Nord Taipei to dock in Gibraltar on 9 February.

'Toughest expedition of my life': Extracts from Mark Beaumont's blog

7 January 2012 "It has taken five days to be able to look at a screen without being sea-sick so this blog is a minor miracle!"

10 January "It's over a week since we saw land and this is, without comparison, the toughest expedition of my life."

12 January "Conditions have worsened. Our dream of being the first to cross the Atlantic in less than 30 days is slipping away."

17 January "We were in massive seas. A wave turned the boat over 100 degrees. Miraculously, we didn't capsize."

23 January "We are wondering how fast we could have been with better weather. We can speculate after we are back on dry land."

Click here to view Mark Beaumont's blog