Journalist 'threatened by UDA'
Tuesday 21 August 2012
A loyalist group in Belfast has denied making a death threat against a journalist.
The National Union of Journalists (NUJ) said the warning had been issued by the Ulster Defence Association (UDA).
But a spokesman for the Ulster Political Research Group, which advises the paramilitary organisation, said: "We consider anybody getting threatened to be absolutely not right and we are totally against any threats against any journalist."
The journalist's name has not been released but the NUJ has appealed to anyone with influence with the UDA to have the threat withdrawn.
The Ulster Unionist leader Mike Nesbitt, a former television journalist, said the threat was "totally unacceptable and must be condemned unequivocally".
He called on the UDA leadership to state if the threat was officially sanctioned by the organisation and if so, to withdraw it.
The UDA is the largest of Northern Ireland's paramilitary groups. It announced a ceasefire in October 1994 but has since undergone a series of feuds and splits.
X Factor judge will appear in court later this month
Guide dog mauled while helping owner deliver Christmas cards
Life on Earth may have developed below rather than above ground, reveal scientists
Nelson Mandela’s complex bond with Britain
The poorest pay the price for austerity: Workers face biggest fall in living standards since Victorian era
10 stone five-year-old taken into care
- 1 Gurdwaras-turned-food banks: Sikh temples are catering for rise in Britain’s hungry
- 2 Council bans use of word ‘Commie’ – but ‘fascist’ and ‘Nazi’ are fine
- 3 The man who made Femen: New film outs Victor Svyatski as the mastermind behind the protest group and its breast-baring stunts
- 4 The poorest pay the price for austerity: Workers face biggest fall in living standards since Victorian era
- 5 Mass murder in the Middle East is funded by our friends the Saudis
- < Previous
- Next >
Initially paid internship designed to lead to full-time job: Inspiring Interns...
£29999 - £35001 per annum + Benefits: Pro-Recruitment Group: Top 10 firm in L...
£30000 - £45000 per annum: Pro-Recruitment Group: This leading Top 10 practice...
£45000 per annum + Excellent benefits: Pro-Recruitment Group: Audit Senior - C...