A man died in a house fire caused by the overheating of an iPhone 5 battery which was plugged in to charge overnight, an inquest heard.
Marek Kruger, 53, who was bedbound due to a brain tumour two years before his death, died from smoke inhalation at his home in Reading in August last year.
The inquest at Reading town hall on Wednesday heard that Mr Kruger would often keep his mobile phone by his side, and used to charge it using an extension lead to make it more accessible.
He was confined to his bed - which was electric - because he had lost all feeling down the left side of his body due to his illness, Get Reading reported.
He often used to do online shopping from the bed using his iPhone.
Iryna Kruger, Mr Kruger's wife, had a statement read out on her behalf in court which explained how her husband, who had been taking paracetamol and ibuprofen, had been in an accident and was reliant on carers and on his electronic bed.
"He had a brain tumour and lost a lot of weight and was in huge pain," the court heard.
A toxicology report did not reveal any traces of alcohol in his system, but did show the presence of some morphine - which Mr Kruger had asked for in the event of him experiencing extreme pain.
At the inquest, a report by pathologist Dr Fawaz Musa revealed that Mr Kruger had suffered 64 per cent burns, including first degree burns to his face and upper chest.
Soot was found in his larynx and trachea.
UK news in pictures
UK news in pictures
1/19 24 June 2017
Britain's opposition Labour Party leader Jeremy Corbyn addresses revellers from the Pyramid Stage at Worthy Farm in Somerset during the Glastonbury Festival
2/19 23 June 2017
British Prime Minister Theresa May addresses a news conference at the EU summit in Brussels, Belgium, June 23, 2017
3/19 22 June 2017
Cosplay fans (L-R) George Massingham, Abbey Forbes and Karolina Goralik travel by tube dressed in Harry Potter themed costumes, after a visit to one the literary franchise's movie filming locations at Leadenhall Market in London, Britain
4/19 22 June 2017
Racegoers cheer on their horse on Ladies Day at the Royal Ascot horse racing meet, in Ascot, west of London
5/19 21 June 2017
A reveller walks among the tipi tents at the Glastonbury Festival of Music and Performing Arts on Worthy Farm near the village of Pilton in Somerset, South West England
6/19 20 June 2017
A police officer lays some flowers passed over by a member of the public, close to Finsbury Park Mosque in north London, after one man died and eight people were taken to hospital and a person arrested after a rental van struck pedestrian
The Borough Market bell is seen in Borough Market in central London following its re-opening after the June 3 terror attack
Two women embrace in Borough Market, which officially re-opens today following the recent attack, in central London
Mayor of London Sadiq Khan attends the re-opening of Borough market in central London following the June 3 terror attack
People walk through Borough Market in central London following its re-opening after the June 3 terror attack
News Corp CEO Rupert Murdoch, with one of his daughters, visit Borough Market, which officially re-opened today following the recent attack
A woman reacts in front of a wall of messages in Borough Market, which officially re-opened today following the recent attack, in central London
Vivenne Westwood walks the runway at the Vivenne Westwood show during the London Fashion Week Men's June 2017 collections
Millwall fan and London Bridge hero Roy Larner on 'Good Morning Britain'
Richard Arnold, Roy Larner, Piers Morgan and Susanna Reid on 'Good Morning Britain'
16/19 11 June 2017
England players celebrate after defeating Venezuela 1-0 to win the final of the FIFA U-20 World Cup Korea 2017 at Suwon World Cup Stadium in Suwon, South Korea
17/19 11 June 2017
England players celebrate with the trophy after the final match of the FIFA U-20 World Cup 2017 between Venezuela and England at Suwon World Cup Stadium in Suwon, South Korea
18/19 11 June 2017
Great Britain's Alistair Brownlee celebrates winning the Elite Men Columbia Threadneedle World Triathlon Leeds
Danny Lawson/PA Wire
19/19 11 June 2017
Two men drink beer outside the Southwark Tavern which reopened for business today next to an entrance to Borough Market which remains closed in London
Jonathan Fuguet, of Bureau Veritas Laboratories, who was employed to investigate by Royal Berkshire Fire and Rescue Service, confirmed the overheating of the iPhone battery had caused the fire because the device was on the bed covers and the heat was unable to circulate freely.
"It is like putting it into a fire but much slower," Mr Fuguet said.
Ravi Sidhu, assistant coroner for Berkshire, recorded a narrative verdict and said: "The main cause of Mr Kruger's death was smoke inhalation.
"He would not have known much about what was going on around him.
"He had been overcome by the effects of smoke from a fire caused by the battery of the phone which had been covered by bed coverings."Reuse content