Man missing after river rescue bid
Friday 15 July 2011
A man is missing today after he got into difficulties when he went into a river to rescue his teenage daughter, according to police.
At about 8pm yesterday, Thames Valley Police were alerted to reports of the man, aged in his 50s, having entered the Thames at Cookham Lock, Odney Lane, Maidenhead, Berkshire.
His daughter had managed to get out of the water but the man has yet to be found, according to a force spokeswoman.
A search by specialist police officers was carried out last night and is due to resume this morning.
The spokeswoman said: "Thames Valley Police officers were called at about 8pm to Cookham Lock after reports of a man in difficulties after entering the river.
"It's thought the man, aged in his 50s and local, went into the river to rescue his teenage daughter who was also in the river.
"The girl made it out of the river but the man is still to be found.
"Thames Valley Police search and rescue officers will continue searching the area in the morning."
- 1 Howard Jacobson: Let's see the 'criticism' of Israel for what it really is
- 2 Instagram of US airport security chiefs: Lipstick knives and IED training kits among items seized
- 3 Brazil vs Germany World Cup 2014: In defence of Mesut Ozil - the Arsenal midfielder works magic in the shadows
- 4 PornHub begs users to stop uploading video clips of Brazil getting beaten 7-1
- 5 Tony Abbott embarrasses Australia by praising Japanese WWII military, ‘getting on the sake’ and posing for ‘crotch-shot’ photo opportunity
Sustained immigration has not harmed Britons' employment, say government advisers
Australia facing international condemnation after turning around Sri Lankans at sea
7/7 memorial defaced on anniversary of 2005 attacks with ‘Blair lied thousands died’ graffiti
Even when it brutalises one of its own teenage citizens, America is helpless against Israel
There’s a nasty smell in the political air – and it’s coming from the Tories
Vanessa Feltz criticises 'vile' reaction to Rolf Harris allegations
£60000 - £75000 per annum: Harrington Starr: Business Analyst Consultant (Fina...
£60000 per annum: Harrington Starr: A leading provider in investment managemen...
£600 - £700 per day: Harrington Starr: AVS, JVS Openlink Endur Developer JVS, ...
£45000 - £60000 per annum + competitive: Progressive Recruitment: Exciting opp...