Mason Martin: Toddler left at home for days next to mum's corpse

The three-year-old was found next to the body of his mother, Lydia Macdonald, after police forced their way into their home

Click to follow
The Independent Online

A toddler was left home alone for days next to the body of his dead mother.

Mason Martin, three, was found on Wednesday evening by police after they forced their way into his flat, along with the body of Lydia Macdonald.

Police say they are treating the death of 28-year-old Ms Macdonald, of Perth in Scotland, as unexplained - though the Ms Macdonald's family suspect an asthma attack may have been the cause, it was reported.

Police reportedly heard young Mason cry through the letterbox, "Please help me wake up my mummy", when they arrived at the property.

The toddler was taken to hospital, where his grandparents, Ms Macdonald's parents, have been sitting with him.

Ron Macdonald, Ms Donald's father, told the Daily Record that the boy's mood had improved dramatically since Wednesday.

He added: "We are Mason's next of kin and have been in the hospital with him from the start. He was very sad to begin with but has brightened up considerably. He has been told about his mum but we're not sure how much he understands. We'll be looking after him."

Mr Macdonald, 66, added: “Lydia was a very funny and caring person who’d do anything for anyone. She was very happy-go-lucky and lived life to the full.

“She absolutely adored Mason to bits and was a wonderful mum to him. He was her entire life. Everything she did was for him.”

The family are now awaiting the results of a post-mortem on Ms Macdonald's body, due to be carried out on Friday, her father said.

Ms Macdonald had trained as a hairdresser after leaving Blairgowrie High School. She listed her occupation on Facebook as "Full Time Mummy".


Although Police Scotland have declined to give any details about Ms Macdonald's death, but a source told the Record that Mason may have been alone with the corpse for "a few days".

A Police Scotland spokesman said: "Police attended at Lickley Court, Perth, on Wednesday, June 10 at 8.10pm following the sudden death of a 28-year-old woman.

"The death is being treated as unexplained, next of kin have been informed and inquiries are continuing."