Network Rail fined £4m over 'preventable' crash
Network Rail was fined £4m yesterday for safety failures that led to a train derailment which killed a pensioner and injured 86 other passengers.
The company accepted it was to blame for a "devastating and preventable" accident.
Margaret Masson, 84, from Glasgow, died from multiple injuries after a Virgin Pendolino express from London to Glasgow crashed on the west coast main line near the village of Grayrigg, Cumbria, on 23 February 2007, after going over a "degraded" set of points. Twenty-eight people were seriously injured. The director of railway safety at the Office of Rail Regulation, Ian Prosser, said it was a devastating and preventable incident.
David Higgins, chief executive of Network Rail, said: "Nothing we can say or do will lessen the pain felt by Mrs Masson's family but we will make the railways safer and strive to prevent such an accident ever happening again." Mrs Masson's relatives said they found it "offensive" that they would be contributing towards the fine because Network Rail is funded by taxpayers.
Network Rail Infrastructure Ltd admitted a charge under the 1974 Health and Safety at Work Act.
In pictures: Saturn images from Cassini probe as it prepares to turn lens towards Earth
New banker bonus boom: Payouts leapt 64% to new record when Chancellor George Osborne cut top-rate tax to 45p in April
'There's something quite unpleasant going on': Nigel Farage confronted for second time on visit to Scotland ahead of Donside by-election
Poor children are being let down by schools, warns Ofsted
World news in pictures
- 1 ‘Hello, NME? I’d like to complain about your Tom Odell review. Why? I’m his dad’
- 2 Richard Nieuwenhuizen death: Six teenagers and 50-year-old father convicted of manslaughter in shocking case of referee killed over a game of football
- 3 Exclusive: Newcastle United's star talent-spotter Graham Carr on brink as Joe Kinnear sparks walkout at St James' Park
- 4 Vast methane 'plumes' seen in Arctic ocean as sea ice retreats
- 5 From charmer to bully: My encounter with Charles Saatchi
TBC: Capital Refrigeration Services Ltd: Capital Refrigeration Services requir...
£90 - £120 per day: Randstad Education Preston: We are currently recruiting fo...
£90 - £120 per day: Randstad Education Preston: . Blackpool
£5520 - £31200 per annum: Randstad Education London: If you are then please ap...