Peace protesters lose eviction fight
Peace activists camping in Parliament Square Gardens have lost their battle against eviction in the Court of Appeal.
The demonstrators, who are protesting against issues including the war in Afghanistan, had set up a tented camp they called the "Democracy Village".
Last month a High Court judge granted eviction orders sought by London's Mayor, Boris Johnson. That ruling has now been upheld.
Jan Luba QC, for the protesters, argued that Mr Johnson had no right to evict the demonstrators because he did not own the land, which belongs to the Queen.
But making the ruling yesterday, Lord Neuberger said that while the Crown owned the title to the land, the Mayor had the power to act over the square.
Colin Barrow, leader of Westminster City Council, said: "We all support peaceful protest, but it is completely unacceptable for parts of our city to be occupied and turned into no-go areas by vociferous minorities."
Charles Saatchi accepts caution for assault over incident in Scott’s restaurant when he put his hands on throat of wife Nigella Lawson
Special Report: US troops are stationed in Japan to protect the nation. But to sex workers in Okinawa, they bring fear, not security
Police examine photographs of Charles Saatchi with hand on Nigella Lawson's throat
Russian President Vladimir Putin denies stealing £16,000 diamond-encrusted Super Bowl ring
Iran to send 4,000 troops to aid President Assad forces in Syria
- 1 Alan Pardew's warning to Joe Kinnear: I am still the Newcastle manager
- 2 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 3 Charles Saatchi accepts caution for assault over incident in Scott’s restaurant when he put his hands on throat of wife Nigella Lawson
- 4 Exclusive: Cristiano Ronaldo advised to stay at Real Madrid for another 18 months before making possible switch to Manchester United
- 5 Iran to send 4,000 troops to aid President Assad forces in Syria
£32000 - £33000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitmen...
Negotiable Depending on Experience: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green R...
Excellent Salary Package: Austen Lloyd: We have an outstanding opportunity for...
Negotiable: Capita Education Resourcing Permanent Team: Room Leader NVQ Level ...