Footballers Matthew Grimstone and Jacob Schilt and personal trainer Matt Jones named as first victims of Shoreham Airshow crash

Becky Jones said on Facebook: 'We are devastated to say Matt Jones was one of the fatalities'

Click to follow

Three people have been named as victims of the fatal Shoreham airshow crash, in which a Hawker Hunter fighter jet crashed into a busy dual carriageway in west Sussex after an aerial manoeuvre went wrong.

Matt Jones, a 24-year-old personal trainer from Littlehampton, was the first to be named.

Mr Jones was giving a friend a lift in his silver BMW when he was caught up in the crash.

His sister, Becky Jones, wrote on Facebook: "Thank you to everyone who has messaged me. We are devastated to say Matt Jones was one of the fatalities."

mattjones.jpg She tried to reach her brother on the phone after she heard about the crash, but could not get through. Her hopes were raised when a friend called to say he had been seen, but this turned out to be a mistake.

Tributes to Mr Jones have been paid by friends and family on social media.

Two more victims have also been named - Matthew Grimstone and Jacob Schilt, both footballers for Worthing United FC.

Worthing United footballer Jacob Schilt

Mr Grimstone's parents Sue and Phil, and brothers David and Paul, said he was the "kindest person you could ever meet", in an emotional tribute.

"In his 23 years we can honestly say he never lost his temper."

Flowers, football shirts and other tributes have been displayed at Mr Grimstone's former club, Mile Oak FC.

Gary Elphick, manager of Worthing FC, another nearby team, said it was "devastating news".

Speaking to the Telegraph, he said: "We're a football family on the South Coast so we're all trying to pull together."

Worthing United footballer Matthew Grimstone

One of Mr Schilt's and Mr Grimstone's teammates, Dean Gilmour, called the two men "absolute gents", and said they were "taken away from us so early in life."

"You will never be forgotten! Love you boys."

At least 11 people have been confirmed as dead in the accident, which occurred at around 1:20pm on 22 August.


A 1950s Hawker Hunter fighter jet crashed into the busy dual carriageway, erupting in a huge fireball.

The pilot, former RAF pilot and British Airways captain Andy Hill, survived the crash and is currently in a critical condition in hospital.

Police have warned that more people could be confirmed as dead as investigations continue.

Speaking to the press on the evening of the accident, Superintendent Jane Derrick of Sussex Police said: "It is possible that tonight and tomorrow we are going to find more bodies at the scene."