Train cleaners win Olympic bonus
Workers who clean trains on the West Coast main line are to receive a £400 bonus for working during the Olympic Games.
The Rail Maritime and Transport union said it was a "ground-breaking" deal involving contract cleaners on Virgin trains.
General secretary Bob Crow said cleaners were often excluded from deals, adding: "RMT has prioritised the fight for a fair deal for cleaning, catering and other support staff who are working for contractors."
Transport workers in the capital have won a series of deals for an Olympic bonus, although thousands of bus drivers and other employees have voted to go on strike over a claim for a payment of £500.
- 1 What, let gays get married? We must be bonkers
- 2 'Something passed underneath us, quite close': Airbus A320 has close encounter with UFO
- 3 Rocky Horror star Tim Curry 'suffers major stroke'
- 4 Lord of the Sings: Sir Christopher Lee, 91, to release heavy metal album
- 5 Exclusive: Woolwich killings suspect Michael Adebolajo was inspired by cleric banned from UK after urging followers to behead enemies of Islam
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Nook is donating eReaders to volunteers at high-need schools and participating in exclusive events throughout the campaign.
Get the latest on The Evening Standard's campaign to get London's children reading.
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.