Wills to be published online
The wills of millions of famous Britons including Florence
Nightingale and Winston Churchill are being published online for the
Family history website Ancestry.co.uk said six million probate records are included in the collection, dating from 1942 to 1966.
The records show that former prime minister Churchill left effects totalling more than £300,000, while wartime nurse Florence Nightingale left an estate worth £36,000.
Comedian and singer George Formby left almost £150,000, while Welsh poet Dylan Thomas left just £100, according to the collection.
Ancestry.co.uk international content director Miriam Silverman said: "These new records give a fascinating insight into the final estates of some of Britain's most recognisable faces and reveal that money and fame did not always go hand in hand.
"They also provide a rich source of information for anybody interested in uncovering the finer details of their ancestor's finances and exactly what, if anything, they decided to leave and to whom."
Stand by for another DECADE of wet summers, say Met Office meteorologists
'Jail reckless bankers': Report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
Feat of engineering: Incredible photographs show construction beneath New York's Second Avenue
World news in pictures
Google challenges US surveillance gagging order
- 1 Disability campaigners celebrate 'victory' after government rethink over plans to make it more difficult to claim disability benefits
- 2 'Jail reckless bankers': Report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
- 3 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 4 We never knew Nigella Lawson - and we still don’t
- 5 Vice pulls 'breathtakingly tasteless' fashion shoot glorifying the suicides of famous female authors from Sylvia Plath to Virginia Woolf
£33000 - £35000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitmen...
£110 - £135 per day: Randstad Education Chelmsford: Teaching opportunites in t...
£21000 - £32000 per annum: Randstad Education Chelmsford: Primary Teaching opp...
£21000 - £32000 per annum: Randstad Education Chelmsford: Primary School teach...