Woman killed in crash while driving wrong way down M5
Saturday 25 May 2013
A woman has died after driving her car the wrong way up a motorway in the early hours of this morning, police said.
The woman, aged in her late 20s or early 30s, died after her Ford Ka collided with four vehicles on the M5 in Somerset.
She drove the small blue car north up the southbound carriageway from Weston-super-Mare towards Clevedon at 12.30am, Avon and Somerset Police said.
"It was involved in separate collisions with two vehicles and was left stationary when it was hit by two more vehicles," a force spokesman said.
"Unfortunately the driver of the Ford Ka, a woman in her late twenties or early thirties, died at the scene."
The road, a key tourist route in the West Country, was closed while the emergency services dealt with the incident and while police officers investigated the crash.
It was open again by 7.30am.
- 1 The black and blue dress: Makers considering a white and gold version
- 2 Husband and wife die holding hands within hours of each other after 67 years of marriage
- 3 What color is The Dress, white and gold or blue and black? An eyewitness gives a definitive answer
- 4 The remarkable archaeological underwater discovery that could open up a new chapter in the study of European and British prehistory
- 5 Fearne Cotton quits Radio 1 after ten years for 'family and new adventures'
New theory could prove how life began and disprove God
Half of Ukip voters say they are prejudiced against people of other races
'Cash for access' scandal: Sir Malcolm Rifkind says 'unrealistic' for MPs to live on £67,000 salary
This is what it's like to be dead, according to a guy who died for a bit
'Jihadi John': CAGE representative storms off Sky News accusing Kay Burley of Islamophobia
Aqsa Mahmood branded a 'disgrace' by her parents after claims she recruited three UK girls flying to Middle East
salary equal to £40K pro-rata: Sauce Recruitment: Are you available to start a...
£35000 - £40000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Creative Front-End Developer - Claph...
£18000 - £24000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The role in this successful eco...
£28000 - £30000 per annum: Ashdown Group: QA Tester - London - £30,000 QA Tes...