Tube strike over ticket office closure row 'suspended', RMT announces

The London Underground’s chief operating officer had previously described the planned action as 'pointless'

Click to follow
The Independent Online

The tube strikes due to take place on Tuesday next week over threats to jobs, working conditions and services have been cancelled, Tube Union RMT has confirmed.

London Underground staff were planning to hold a 48 hour strike in the long-running row over Tube ticket office closures, with the Rail, Maritime and Transport (RMT) union instructing members not to book shifts between 9pm on 14 October until 8.59pm on Thursday, 16 October.

Consultations with the RMT had been ongoing for 11 months, with the London Underground’s chief operating officer describing the planned action as “pointless”.

In a statement released on its website, RMT’s General Secretary Mick Cash, said: “Thanks to both the solidarity and determination of our members, and the hard work of our negotiators in the ACAS talks, RMT has been able to secure significant movement in three key areas which have allowed our executive to suspend both the action scheduled for next week and the on-going overtime ban.

“The substantial improvements we have agreed allow us to move forwards but the Union’s core opposition to the austerity-led cuts on London Underground has not shifted an inch and we remain vigilant to further developments and their impact.”

Phil Hufton, Chief Operating Officer of London Underground, said: “I am pleased that Londoners will not have to endure unnecessary strike action next week.

“Nothing positive would be achieved through this strike action and this threat had no logic to it what so ever apart from attempting to disrupt hard working Londoners and their members losing two days pay.

“We will continue to consult with staff and trades unions while we implement our proposals to modernise and improve the Tube service for our customers.”

Comments