Blunkett: The financial impact
Thursday 03 November 2005
The biggest financial impact of resigning is the drop in salary from £130,347 - for his cabinet minister post - to the £59,095 he receives as a backbench MP. A payment of £18,700 given to ministers who quit will help his cash flow, although he is likely to come under pressure from opposition MPs to turn down the money. He was criticised for accepting a similar amount when he resigned as Home Secretary last December and keeping the money when he was moved back into the Cabinet five months later. The Tories are also likely to demand that he moves out of his grace-and-favour residence in Belgravia, where he has lived since 2001.
But by stepping down he does not need to sell the £15,000 shareholding in DNA Bioscience. The value of this holding could soar to £300,000 if the company is floated on the stock market.
- 1 BBC told new political editor must be 'impartial' with Nick Robinson reportedly stepping down
- 2 Number of young homeless people in Britain is 'more than three times the official figures'
- 3 Humans of New York image of crying gay teen receives best response yet from Ellen DeGeneres
- 4 The map showing the most dangerous tourist destinations in Europe, according to the Foreign Office
- 5 Swedish minister gives strongest case yet on why EU should stop turning away asylum seekers
More Britons believe that multiculturalism makes the country worse - not better, says poll
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture
Osborne to cap family benefits at £23,000 – announced ahead of his post-election Budget
£7 - £10 per hour: Recruitment Genius: This care provider is looking for Home ...
£30000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: One of the UK's leading web des...
£27000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A growing, successful, friendly...
£16000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This family owned, independent ...