Council workers' union rejects final pension offer
Tuesday 10 January 2012
The Government's hopes of resolving the bitter dispute over public sector pensions received a fresh blow yesterday when leaders of thousands of council workers rejected a final offer.
Unite's national local authority committee turned down the proposed deal, saying "genuine discussions" should be held without "arbitrary" deadlines.
The move follows a similar decision last week by the union's health executive. The two biggest teaching unions also refused to sign up to the deal.
Leaders of the biggest public sector union, Unison, will meet today to consider the final offer, while unions will hold talks at the TUC later this week to decide their next move.
Up to two million workers went on strike in November to protest at planned changes to their pensions and some union leaders have warned of more industrial action.
- 1 Double chins could be 'cured' without surgery or dieting using new injection
- 2 The BBC has just done more to eradicate ‘terrorism’ than all our wars since 9/11
- 3 Christian blogger says she will not wear leggings in public because they entice men and cause them to look at her 'lustfully'
- 4 Thank heavens for Louise Mensch and her foul-mouthed tweets to world leaders
- 5 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
French court convicts three over homophobic tweets, in case hailed as a 'significant victory' by LGBT rights campaigners
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British Muslim school children suffering a backlash of abuse following Paris attacks
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
Louise Mensch says 'F**K YOU' in explosive tweets about David Cameron, Saudi Embassy and the Queen over King Abdullah tributes
£25000 - £40000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This web-based lead generation ...
£125 - £150 per day + Negotiable: Tradewind Recruitment: A 'wonderful primary ...
£90 - £140 per day: Tradewind Recruitment: Our client is an 11-16 mixed commun...
£32000 - £36000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A rapidly developing company in...