Government spending cuts comment made 'off the cuff'
Downing Street sought today to play down a warning by Britain's most senior civil servant that the country could be facing a decade of spending cuts.
Cabinet Secretary Sir Jeremy Heywood has said the Government is just 25% of the way through its austerity programme.
Speaking to civil servants in Westminster last night, he warned that spending restraint could last "seven, eight, maybe 10 years".
A No 10 spokeswoman said his "off-the-cuff remarks" referred to the future shape of the Civil Service and were fully in line with Government policy.
"He was talking very much in the context of Civil Service reform," the spokeswoman said.
"He was not trying to predict what spending down the track might look like. Sir Jeremy was being off the cuff. He was not setting out a different policy."
Chancellor George Osborne announced in his Autumn Statement that public spending cuts would continue to 2017 - two years into the next parliament.
However, Sir Jeremy's comments appeared to imply that - for the Civil Service at least - austerity measures could continue for the whole of the next parliament to 2020.
Stand by for another DECADE of wet summers, say Met Office meteorologists
'Jail reckless bankers': Report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
Feat of engineering: Incredible photographs show construction beneath New York's Second Avenue
World news in pictures
Google challenges US surveillance gagging order
- 1 Disability campaigners celebrate 'victory' after government rethink over plans to make it more difficult to claim disability benefits
- 2 'Jail reckless bankers': Report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
- 3 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 4 We never knew Nigella Lawson - and we still don’t
- 5 Vice pulls 'breathtakingly tasteless' fashion shoot glorifying the suicides of famous female authors from Sylvia Plath to Virginia Woolf
£33000 - £35000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitmen...
£110 - £135 per day: Randstad Education Chelmsford: Teaching opportunites in t...
£21000 - £32000 per annum: Randstad Education Chelmsford: Primary Teaching opp...
£21000 - £32000 per annum: Randstad Education Chelmsford: Primary School teach...