MP's wife sent dead bird in post
A Labour MP's wife has spoken of her shock after being sent a dead bird in the post. Newly-elected councillor Jo White, the wife of Nottinghamshire MP John Mann, discovered the decomposing bird at their home earlier this week.
In a statement, Ms White said she was left shaken and frightened after finding the package on treturning home from her first official meeting at Bassetlaw District Council.
"I came home and found a pile of post waiting for me," she said. "While there was an unpleasant smell, I thought nothing of it until I began opening the last package, when the smell became so overwhelming I retched and felt really sick."
Ms White, who was elected to the Worksop East ward at this month's local elections, added: "I put the package outside and called the police, who have been absolutely brilliant. They took away the bird along with the package for DNA investigation – I really hope they find whoever did this."
John Mann, who has represented the Bassetlaw constituency since 2001, said: "It's appalling that a new councillor should have to deal with this in their first week."
Stand by for another DECADE of wet summers, say Met Office meteorologists
'Jail reckless bankers': Report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
Feat of engineering: Incredible photographs show construction beneath New York's Second Avenue
World news in pictures
Google challenges US surveillance gagging order
- 1 Disability campaigners celebrate 'victory' after government rethink over plans to make it more difficult to claim disability benefits
- 2 'Jail reckless bankers': Report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
- 3 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 4 Uri Geller psychic spy? The spoon-bender's secret life as a Mossad and CIA agent revealed
- 5 Vice pulls 'breathtakingly tasteless' fashion shoot glorifying the suicides of famous female authors from Sylvia Plath to Virginia Woolf
£600 - £750 per day: Orgtel: FATCA Project Manager - Banking - London - £600-...
£30000 - £35000 per annum: May & Stephens Recruitment Group: If you're an ambi...
£43000 - £50000 per annum + £5K Car Allowance + Bens : May & Stephens Recrui...
£18000 - £22000 per annum + Bens : May & Stephens Recruitment Group: If you're...