Straw backs Miliband in leadership race
Thursday 12 August 2010
David Miliband's hopes of being elected leader of the Labour Party were boosted yesterday when he was given the backing of Jack Straw.
The shadowJustice Secretary is the third Labour frontbencher to add his name to Mr Miliband's supporters. Alan Johnson, the shadow Home Secretary, and Alistair Darling, the shadow Chancellor, have already announced their support.
Mr Straw, who announced last week that he is to retire from the Shadow Cabinet in October, said in a letter to part members in his Blackburn constituency: "In my view there is one outstanding candidate with the qualities necessary both to be Leader of the Opposition, and then Prime Minister.
"In my judgment it is David Miliband who without doubt should be our next Leader. He will get my vote."
* Gillian Duffy, who was controversially described as a bigoted woman by Gordon Brown during the general election campaign, was last night guest of honour at the official opening of the constituency office of Rochdale's new Labour MP, Simon Danczuk. She said: "I never wanted to hurt the Labour Party at all. I wanted them to get in at the last election. I felt very sorry for Gordon Brown."
- 1 East 17 bandmember Brian Harvey in 'very desperate situation’
- 2 Germanwings plane crash: Video shows co-pilot Andreas Lubitz learning to fly as a teenager
- 3 Vladimir Putin says Russia will fight for the right of Palestinians to their own state
- 4 Germanwings crash: Captain of doomed plane was only 'on board because he changed job to spend more time with his children'
- 5 WrestleMania 31 results: Seth Rollins stuns WWE as he cashes in Money in the Bank contract to claim title from Brock Lesnar
East 17 bandmember Brian Harvey in 'very desperate situation’
Vladimir Putin says Russia will fight for the right of Palestinians to their own state
Ohio Democrat Teresa Fedor speaks out during abortion debate to reveal she has been raped – and is interrupted by laughter from Republicans
Children take eight Isis captives to be beheaded in latest propaganda video
Jeremy Clarkson 'could be given minder' ahead of a potential Top Gear return
Ukip supporters are 55 or older, white and socially conservative, finds British Social Attitudes Report
JK Rowling responds to fan tweeting she 'can't see' Dumbledore being gay
Street preacher quoting from the Bible fined for calling homosexuality an 'abomination'
Jeremy Clarkson sacked live: Alan Yentob 'wouldn't rule out' ex Top Gear host's BBC return
Woman filmed launching racist tirade against men on the Tube for speaking in 'own lingo'
The West has it totally wrong on Lee Kuan Yew
£25000 - £30000 per annum + benefits: Ashdown Group: A global leader operating...
£32000 - £38000 per annum + benefits: Ashdown Group: A highly successful, inte...
£8000 - £10800 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Supply Chain Administrator is ...
£25000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Client IT Account Manager is ...