Gang jailed for albino murders
Saturday 25 July 2009
One person in Burundi has been jailed for life and four others received sentences of seven to 15 years for murdering albinos and selling their body parts for use in witchcraft.
Three people were released due to a lack of evidence. Eleven albinos have been killed in the past year. The nation of eight million people has around 200 albinos. The victims were mutilated and their body parts sold in neighbouring Tanzania for use in potions. More than 40 albinos have been killed in Tanzania. The trial is believed to be the first linked to a spate of albino killings in East Africa since 2007. Witchdoctors in the region say albino body parts bring luck in love, life and business.
- 1 Snoop Dogg and Jared Leto buy a stake in Reddit as A-list invests $50m
- 2 Prince held a Facebook Q&A and this is the only question he answered
- 3 Car tax disc changes: Two days to go - and they affect you much more than just not displaying a piece of paper
- 4 Now we know whose fault it is if you end up being murdered in Thailand
- 5 35,000 walrus gather ashore on north-west Alaska beach 'for a rest'
Exclusive: 'Putin's Russia has been my biggest regret,' says Nato's outgoing Secretary General
The Osborne Ultimatum: Chancellor’s benefits freeze bombshell will affect ten million households
There’s no excuse for Dave Lee Travis’s behaviour, but we need to keep a sense of proportion
Should gay sex be illegal? 16% of Britons think so
Mark Reckless becomes second Tory MP to defect to Ukip in a month
Benefits 'smart cards' plan revealed by Iain Duncan Smith to stop claimants spending welfare money on alcohol
- < Previous
- Next >
£18000 - £23000 per annum + Uncapped OTE: SThree: SThree Group have been well ...
£18000 - £23000 per annum + OTE: SThree: Real Staffing Group is seeking Traine...
£120 - £140 per day: Randstad Education Leeds: We have an exciting opportunity...
Competitive: Randstad Education Manchester: SEN Teacher urgently required for ...