Kenyan politician uses the dock to give stump speech
Nairobi audience hears Kenyatta rail against prosecutors in The Hague
Daniel Howden is Africa Correspondent for The Independent. He has reported from more than 50 countries covering everything from wars and elections to natural disasters and environmental crises. Special interests beyond Africa include southeast Europe, Latin America and global forests. A former Athens correspondent he has returned to Greece regularly during the European debt crisis. Now based in Nairobi, he acted as producer on the documentary 'Stolen Seas: Tales of Somali Piracy', winner of the Boccalino D'Oro prize at the 2012 Locarno film festival.
Saturday 01 October 2011
The dock at the International Criminal Court in The Hague was hijacked this week by Kenya's Deputy Prime Minister to stump for the presidency of the East African country.
Accused of crimes against humanity for his alleged role in masterminding the violence that followed Kenya's last election, Uhuru Kenyatta sought in pre-trial hearings to blame his main political rival and left his lawyers to deride the prosecution's case as "gossip" and "hearsay".
The scion of the country's founding family said the Prime Minister, Raila Odinga – who has not been called to the ICC – was "politically responsible" for the wave of killings that followed the 2007 poll because he incited ethnic divisions by claiming the elections had been stolen. The two men will be among the favourites at a presidential vote expected next year – unless Mr Kenyatta is on trial in the Netherlands.
The credibility of the ICC's controversial chief prosecutor also hangs on the outcome of pre-trial hearings which concluded yesterday against six high-profile suspects, and interest is huge in Kenya where 1,500 people died in the aftermath of the contested election. Luis Moreno Ocampo must now wait until December to discover whether he has convinced judges he has enough evidence to warrant a full trial.
In the past nine days, the prosecutor has accused Mr Kenyatta and two fellow suspects of recruiting and deploying a feared criminal gang to launch attacks on opposition supporters, affording the gang police protection.
Defence lawyers have sought to undermine the credibility of key witnesses, whom they accuse of selling hearsay to credulous outside investigators. Three suspects from the opposing political camp have already faced the pre-trial chamber.
Mr Kenyatta, accused by witnesses of holding several meetings with leaders of the criminal Mungiki ethnic gang, denied any involvement and portrayed himself as a "peacemaker" seeking to contain the chaos.
Playing to the television audience back home in Kenya, where his supporters have accused the ICC of unfairly targeting ethnic Kikuyu and Kalenjin leaders, he implicated Mr Odinga – the champion of the Luo tribe.
"I will not say [Mr Odinga] was criminally responsible, because I have no evidence of him supplying arms," said Mr Kenyatta, a son of Jomo Kenyatta, Kenya's first post-independence president and the most high-profile suspect to appear before the permanent home of the ICC. "But he indeed had political responsibility."
The Deputy Prime Minister has said that he will stand down from the government if charges against him are confirmed.
Hopes have been raised among many ordinary Kenyans that the ICC would finally break the culture of impunity that has protected the country's political elite from the consequences of corruption and orchestrating ethnic clashes. Should the case collapse it would have a disastrous impact on the country's fragile recovery from the events four years ago.
Suspicion of Kenya's politicians runs so deep that many blame them for the plunging Kenyan shilling, the worst performing currency in the world this year. They accuse their leaders of manipulating the exchange rate to build up a war chest for campaigning next year regardless of the impact of inflation on the cost of living for ordinary Kenyans.
That's some guestlist! Stunning images show huge dynastic wedding between Ultra-Orthodox Jewish families which attracted 25,000 guests
Man and woman arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to murder victim of Woolwich machete attack, named as Drummer Lee Rigby
'Sickening, deluded and unforgivable': Horrific attack brings terror to London’s streets
Video: Woolwich attack - man with bloodied hands and knife addresses camera
Ingrid Loyau-Kennett, the mother-of-two hailed as a hero for confronting Woolwich attackers, thought: 'better me than a child'
- 1 Man and woman arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to murder victim of Woolwich machete attack, named as Drummer Lee Rigby
- 2 'Sickening, deluded and unforgivable': Horrific attack brings terror to London’s streets
- 3 Grace Dent: I’m not sure how these people can avoid being called ‘bigots’. And the more ‘civilised’, the worse they are
- 4 Woolwich murder: They killed, then they performed - these men should be starved of our attention
- 5 Woolwich attack: The EDL will seek to exploit this evil crime for their own evil ends
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Nook is donating eReaders to volunteers at high-need schools and participating in exclusive events throughout the campaign.
Get the latest on The Evening Standard's campaign to get London's children reading.
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.