Abandoned island to become New York's oasis
Monday 27 February 2006
Since being abandoned by the US Coast Guard because of budget cuts a decade ago, the 175-acre island has been occupied by a handful of National Parks workers and a larger colony of Canada Geese. But if Mayor Michael Bloomberg has his way, it will be transformed into New York's newest must-see destination - an offshore oasis of culture, calm and greenery.
The city has invited private developers to submit proposals for its future. Already a hundred groups have responded. The ideas range from building an arts college there to the remaking of one of its forts to create the New Globe Theater, modelled on the Globe Theatre in London. Another idea is to link the island to Manhattan with a cable car.
- 1 All Blacks Aaron Cruden misses New Zealand flight after drinking session, has brilliant excuse
- 2 Kim Kardashian 'nude photos' leaked on 4chan weeks after Jennifer Lawrence scandal
- 3 'F*ck it, I quit': TV reporter Charlo Greene quits live on air in spectacular fashion
- 4 Alicia Keys leaks nude photo 'to create a kinder and more peaceful world'
- 5 Clothes store Joy angers mental health campaigners with Twitter exchange on bipolar disorders
Scotland could still declare independence – even without referendum, says Alex Salmond
Scottish referendum results: Cross-party consensus collapses amid Tory-Labour spat on the 'English question'
Hilary Mantel 'should be investigated by police' over Margaret Thatcher assassination story, says Lord Bell
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Plebgate MP Andrew Mitchell called officer a 'little s**t', claim court documents 'exposing ex-Chief Whip's 'record of abusing police'
Archbishop of Canterbury admits doubts about existence of God
£300 - £350 Per Day: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: Pharmaceutical Computer ...
£70 - £90 per day: Randstad Education Birmingham: Higher Level Teaching Assist...
£50 - £80 per day: Randstad Education Birmingham: Randstad Education is the UK...
£400 - £450 Per Day: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: Our client is currently ...