Bin Laden's former cook given 14-year sentence
Osama Bin Laden's former cook and driver has become the first Guantanamo detainee to be sentenced since Barack Obama pledged to close the controversial prison camp.
Ibrahim al-Qosi, 51, pleaded guilty to conspiracy and providing material support for terrorism after US prosecutors charged him with serving as a driver, cook and armed guard for Bin Laden between 1996 and 2001, and with providing security, transportation and supply services for an al-Qa'ida compound in Afghanistan between 1998 and 2001.
On Wednesday a jury at a military commission in Guantanamo sentenced the Sudanese national to 14 years' imprisonment. He is the first detainee to be sentenced by a Guantanamo Bay military tribunal since President Obama took office and pledged to close the detention camps. But Qosi is expected to serve far fewer years under a plea deal that remains secret.
The case has focused concerns about the fairness of the military commissions. Andrea Prasow, a lawyer observing the hearings for Human Rights Watch, said: "To find out that the first conviction under the Obama administration is accompanied by a secret plea agreement, coupled with a dummy sentence, it's really troubling. I think this proceeding was a farce."
Serena Williams apologises after comment that rape victim 'shouldn't have put herself in that position'
Bankers could face jail after report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
Feat of engineering: Incredible photographs show construction beneath New York's Second Avenue
World news in pictures
Google challenges US surveillance gagging order
- 1 Serena Williams apologises after comment that rape victim 'shouldn't have put herself in that position'
- 2 Disability campaigners celebrate 'victory' after government rethink over plans to make it more difficult to claim disability benefits
- 3 Bankers could face jail after report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
- 4 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 5 We never knew Nigella Lawson - and we still don’t
£500 - £600 per day: Orgtel: FX Options Front Office Java / C# Developer - Ba...
£600 - £700 per day: Orgtel: Project Manager - Front Office - Regulatory IT C...
£33000 - £35000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitmen...
£21000 - £22000 per annum: Randstad Education Chelmsford: NQTs required now fo...