Early on Monday afternoon, the Twitter account of the US military’s Central Command was apparently hacked by Islamic State sympathisers. The hackers also released sensitive information about military scenarios involving China and North Korea, as well as posting addresses and telephone numbers for high-ranking US military officials.
Five Things to Know About Central Command:
• Central Command is responsible for the area between the European and Pacific combatant commands.
• The area covers the central area of the globe and consists of 20 countries: Afghanistan, Bahrain, Egypt, Iran, Iraq, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Lebanon, Oman, Pakistan, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Syria, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, United Arab Emirates, Uzbekistan, and Yemen.
• Central Command was established January 1, 1983 under the administration of President Ronald Reagan.
• Central Command is based at MacDill Air Force Base near Tampa, Florida.
• The leadership at Central Command comprises General Lloyd Austin, commander, Vice Admiral Mark Fox, deputy commander and Maj General Michael Garrett, chief of staff.Reuse content