Obama team 'to blame for Benghazi embassy deaths'

Republicans claim staff security in Libya was neglected by Democrat administration

Suggested Topics

At a hearing on Capitol Hill Republicans yesterday sought to eviscerate the Obama administration over its handling of the assault on the US consulate in Benghazi, Libya, that killed four Americans, including Ambassador Christopher Stevens, saying officials failed to heed security warnings and dissembled in their public statements in its aftermath.

Opening the politically charged session, Congressman Darrel Issa said warnings from US personnel in Libya about the worsening security situation were ignored. "They repeatedly warned Washington officials about the dangerous situation in Libya," he said, adding that the administration refused to respond because it was "preoccupied with the concept of normalisation" in Libya and didn't want to acknowledge that terror threats existed there.

Among those called to testify before the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee were two senior State Department officials responsible for the security of US diplomats, as well as Lieutenant-Colonel Andy Wood, a former head of US security who has said calls by himself and by Ambassador Stevens in the months before the attack for beefed-up measures in Benghazi were ignored in Washington.

Last month The Independent revealed the US State Department had credible information that American missions were in danger of being targeted 48 hours before mobs charged the consulate in Benghazi, and the embassy in Cairo, but no warnings were given for diplomats to go on high alert.

Noting that in June an attack was launched on a convoy bearing the British ambassador in Benghazi, Lt-Col Woods said he had been concerned about insufficient security: "Libyans struggled with the transitional government hesitating to make decisions... fighting between militias was common," he told the hearing. "The security in Benghazi remained a struggle throughout my time there."

Earlier he told CBS News: "We tried to show them how dangerous and how volatile and just unpredictable that whole environment was over there. So to decrease security in the face of that is just unbelievable."

In written testimony, Lt-Col Wood, who served in Libya until early August, said: "The RSO [regional security officer] struggled to obtain additional personnel there [in Benghazi], but was never able to attain the numbers he felt comfortable with."

But Patrick Kennedy, one of two State Department officials testifying, denied the government had fallen down on the job. "The Department of State regularly assesses risk and allocation of resources for security; a process which involves the considered judgments of experienced professionals on the ground and in Washington, using the best information available," he said, adding: "The assault that occurred on the evening of 11 September, however, was an unprecedented attack by dozens of heavily armed men."

Also at issue, however, was the timeline of statements by US officials who for several days after the attacks continued to blame the tragedy on a mob reacting to a US-made video insulting Islam even though, it now appears, the State Department itself never reached that conclusion and intelligence briefings available the next day stated that the consulate had instead come under a sustained and planned attack.

Republicans have aimed their harshest fire at Susan Rice, US Ambassador to the United Nations, accusing her of dissembling when she stuck to the line even the Sunday after the attack that Ambassador Stevens and the other victims died because of a mob riot that went out of control.

Ms Rice, who was not called to testify, has defended herself saying she was speaking on the basis of intelligence information available at the time which has since evolved.

Claims by Democrats that the hearings were politically motivated and aimed at embarrassing President Barack Obama just weeks before the election were denied by Republican Jason Chaffetz of Utah, chairman of a House Sub-Committee on National Security, Homeland Defense and Foreign Operations. "I didn't plan on having four Americans murdered in Libya," he said. "That was not part of the game plan. It would be totally irresponsible to punt this until after the election. Imagine the outrage, rightfully so, if we just ignored this until after the election."

Speaking before the hearing's start, Mr Chaffetz said he believed the White House and the State Department had worked together to resist calls for increased security in Benghazi. "It seems to be a coordinated effort between the White House and the State Department, from Secretary Clinton to President Obama's White House," Mr Chaffetz said. "My personal opinion is that they wanted the appearance of normalisation in Libya, and that putting up barbed wire on our facility would lead to the wrong impression."

Independent Comment
blog comments powered by Disqus
Top stories
News in pictures
World news in pictures
UK news in pictures
UK news in pictures
More stories
       
Independent
Travel Shop
Lake Como and the Bernina Express
Seven nights half-board from only £749pp Find out more
California and the golden west
14 nights from only £1,599pp Find out more
Paris and the Cote d’Azur
Seven nights from only £579pp Find out more
Independent Dating
and  

By clicking 'Search' you
are agreeing to our
Terms of Use.

iJobs Job Widget
iJobs General

Market Research Telephone Interviewer

£8 per hour plus excellent benefits: The Research House Limited: Part Time Tel...

Year 1 Teacher

£90 - £160 per day: Randstad Education Group: A Primary School in Bradford are...

Commercial Lawyer – Renewable Energy

£28000 - £32000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: Job Title: Commercia...

Solar PV - Sales South

£30000 Per Annum Bonus + Car: The Green Recruitment Company: Job Title: Solar ...

Day In a Page

Special report: How my father's face turned up in Robert Capa's lost suitcase

Special report: How my father's face turned up in Robert Capa's lost suitcase

The great war photographer was not one person but two. Their pictures of Spain's civil war, lost for decades, tell a heroic tale
The unmade speech: An alternative draft of history

The unmade speech: An alternative draft of history

Someone, somewhere has to write speeches for world leaders to deliver in the event of disaster. They offer a chilling hint at what could have been
Funny business: Meet the women running comedy

Funny business: Meet the women running comedy

Think comedy’s a man's world? You must be stuck in the 1980s, says Holly Williams
Wilko Johnson: 'You have to live for the minute you're in'

Wilko Johnson: 'You have to live for the minute you're in'

The Dr Feelgood guitarist talks frankly about his terminal illness
Lure of the jingle: Entrepreneurs are giving vintage ice-cream vans a new lease of life

Lure of the jingle

Entrepreneurs are giving vintage ice-cream vans a new lease of life
Who stole the people's own culture?

DJ Taylor: Who stole the people's own culture?

True popular art drives up from the streets, but the commercial world wastes no time in cashing in
Guest List: The IoS Literary Editor suggests some books for your summer holiday

Guest List: IoS Literary Editor suggests some books for your summer holiday

Before you stuff your luggage with this year's Man Booker longlist titles, the case for some varied poolside reading alternatives
What if Edward Snowden had stayed to fight his corner?

Rupert Cornwell: What if Edward Snowden had stayed to fight his corner?

The CIA whistleblower struck a blow for us all, but his 1970s predecessor showed how to win
'A man walks into a bar': Comedian Seann Walsh on the dangers of mixing alcohol and stand-up

Comedian Seann Walsh on alcohol and stand-up

Comedy and booze go together, says Walsh. The trouble is stopping at just the one. So when do the hangovers stop being funny?
From Edinburgh to Hollywood (via the Home Counties): 10 comedic talents blowing up big

Edinburgh to Hollywood: 10 comedic talents blowing up big

Hugh Montgomery profiles the faces to watch, from the sitcom star to the surrealist
'Hello. I have cancer': When comedian Tig Notaro discovered she had a tumour she decided the show must go on

Comedian Tig Notaro: 'Hello. I have cancer'

When Notaro discovered she had a tumour she decided the show must go on
They think it's all ova: Bill Granger's Asia-influenced egg recipes

Bill Granger's Asia-influenced egg recipes

Our chef made his name cooking eggs, but he’s never stopped looking for new ways to serve them
The world wakes up to golf's female big hitters

The world wakes up to golf's female big hitters

With its own Tiger Woods - South Korea's Inbee Park - the women's game has a growing audience
10 athletes ready to take the world by storm in Moscow next week

10 athletes ready to take the world by storm in Moscow next week

Here are the potential stars of the World Championships which begin on Saturday
The Last Word: Luis Suarez and Gareth Bale's art of manipulation

The Last Word: Luis Suarez and Gareth Bale's art of manipulation

Briefings are off the record leading to transfer speculation which is merely a means to an end