San Diego mayor may quit over harassment claims
Friday 23 August 2013
The embattled mayor of San Diego, Bob Filner, was on the verge of quitting yesterday after weeks of fending off sexual harassment claims by at least 17 women.
A vote by the city council was expected to confirm his departure, following a negotiated settlement.
But his demand for legal indemnity against the lone lawsuit filed against him, by his former communications director, Irene McCormack Jackson, and for his legal fees to be paid are sticking points.
Mr Filner, pictured, a 70-year-old Democrat elected in November, refused to resign when the scandal first broke in July and announced three weeks ago that he would undergo therapy for his behaviour. He acknowledged that he had disrespected and intimidated women, but denied any sexual harassment.
Ms McCormack Jackson claimed the mayor asked her to work without underwear, demanded kisses and told her he wanted to see her naked. Other accusers include a university dean and a retired US Navy rear admiral. Some contend that he groped and forcibly kissed them.
The high-profile lawyer Gloria Allred, acting for Ms McCormack Jackson, said she had not agreed on a settlement. She does not believe Mr Filner should have his legal bills covered by the city.
Simon Calder looks at communities fighting back against the poachers
Arsenal 1 Everton 1: Substitute equalises with six minutes to go
booksGeese, gorillas, grandads... and growing up
- 1 Hundreds arrested as Canadian police smash worldwide paedophile ring
- 2 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 3 The man who made Femen: New film outs Victor Svyatski as the mastermind behind the protest group and its breast-baring stunts
- 4 Mass murder in the Middle East is funded by our friends the Saudis
- 5 Japan cracks down on leaks after scandal of Fukushima nuclear power plant
- < Previous
- Next >
£80000 - £100000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: Senior C++ De...
£25000 - £50000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: C++ Server Dev...
£300 - £350 per day: Harrington Starr: Leading Electronic Trading Software Ven...
£23999 - £32001 per annum + Benefits: Pro-Recruitment Group: An independent ac...