Seven killed attacking Nato coalition base in Afghanistan
Seven attackers were killed today after storming a base of the Nato coalition in Kandahar province of southern Afghanistan.
The attackers breached the outer security of the base in Shah Wali Kot district, but were then killed by guards at the compound.
Initial reports suggested that at least one foreign worker was killed and two other foreigners were wounded, but this was not confirmed.
Earlier, Afghan officials said three Afghan policemen were killed when their checkpoint was attacked in Kandahar city.
US and Afghan officials said three individuals dressed in Afghan police uniforms turned their guns on coalition troops in Zhari district of Kandahar province yesterday, killing one Nato service member and wounding several others.
Stand by for another DECADE of wet summers, say Met Office meteorologists
Serena Williams apologises after comment that rape victim 'shouldn't have put herself in that position'
Bankers could face jail after report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
Feat of engineering: Incredible photographs show construction beneath New York's Second Avenue
World news in pictures
- 1 Serena Williams apologises after comment that rape victim 'shouldn't have put herself in that position'
- 2 Disability campaigners celebrate 'victory' after government rethink over plans to make it more difficult to claim disability benefits
- 3 Bankers could face jail after report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
- 4 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 5 We never knew Nigella Lawson - and we still don’t
£500 - £600 per day: Orgtel: FX Options Front Office Java / C# Developer - Ba...
£600 - £700 per day: Orgtel: Project Manager - Front Office - Regulatory IT C...
£33000 - £35000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitmen...
£21000 - £22000 per annum: Randstad Education Chelmsford: NQTs required now fo...