UN scales back after three bomb blasts rock Kandahar City ahead of key Nato campaign
Tuesday 27 April 2010
in the latest sign that Kandahar City is sliding deeper into violence ahead of a massive Nato campaign there, the UN yesterday announced it was scaling back its operations hours after three bomb blasts rocked the city.
Two of the attacks seemed to target the deputy provincial police chief, Fazel Ahmad Sherzad, detonating within a minute of each other in downtown Kandahar as a convoy carrying Mr Sherzad passed by. "They were targeting the car I normally use, but luckily I was not in it at the time," he said.
Two hours later a third bomb exploded in the city's northern quarter. Two civilians were killed in the blasts, which followed the murder of Haji Abdul Hay, a tribal elder and the brother of a former senator.
The wave of attacks suggests the Taliban is making good on a promise to increase violence in the city in response to Nato's plans to restore Afghan sovereignty. In as much as it is controlled by anyone, Kandahar City is in the hands of a murky nexus of powerbrokers and mafiosi.
The violence prompted the UN to order 200 Afghan staff working in the city to stay at home. A spokesman conceded that "several" non-Afghans had been moved from the city to the capital, Kabul. "There is always a balance to be struck to ensure the safety of our staff and ensure that we can deliver our programmes and humanitarian assistance to the people of Afghanistan," Dan McNorton said.
"We constantly have to adapt our ways of working. We will continue to monitor the security situation in Kandahar and hope to be able to get back to work as soon as possible," he added.
The UN pulled many "non-essential" workers out of Afghanistan after a Taliban suicide squad attacked a Kabul guesthouse used by its staff last October. It denied the move was an evacuation.
Some of the half-million inhabitants of Kandahar, the birthplace of the Taliban, said they were increasingly scared. "The security in this city is deteriorating," Enayutullah Khan, a 43-year-old rickshaw driver, told the Associated Press. "People leave their homes only to find food for their children. Otherwise we don't leave the house."
- 1 Gun instructor accidentally shot dead by nine-year-old girl with Uzi gun
- 2 Miley Cyrus' homeless MTV VMAs date, Jesse Helt, is wanted by the police
- 3 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 4 Pamela Anderson rejects ice bucket challenge because of ALS experiments on animals: 'Mice had holes drilled into their skulls'
- 5 Homer Simpson has taken the ALS ice bucket challenge because of course he has
Kensington flat branded ‘uninhabitable’ by estate agent on sale for a bargain £600,000
Gun instructor accidentally shot dead by nine-year-old girl with Uzi gun
Miley Cyrus' homeless MTV VMAs date, Jesse Helt, is wanted by the police
Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
The 13 obscure UK laws you didn’t know you were breaking
Exclusive: We share blame for creating 'jihad generation', says Muslim strategist
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Jeremy Clarkson is a cultural tumour and needs to be removed, says comedian Frankie Boyle
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
- < Previous
- Next >
£40000 - £48000 per annum + benefits+bonus+package: Harrington Starr: C# Devel...
£45000 - £60000 per annum + benefits+bonus+package: Harrington Starr: C# Swift...
£55000 - £70000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: Front-End Deve...
£30000 - £40000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: Graduate C# De...