Belarus bomber who allegedly killed 15 executed according to mother
One of two men who allegedly carried out a subway bombing attack in
Belarus that killed 15 people and wounded hundreds more has been
executed, his mother said today.
Lubov Kovaleva said she had received official notification about the execution of her son, Vladislav Kovalev.
Kovalev and Dmitry Konovalov, both 26 years old, were convicted in November of planting a bomb at the busiest subway station in Belarus' capital, Minsk, last April. Investigators said the men were driven by "hatred for humankind," not political or religious motives.
The Supreme Court found that Konovalov made the bomb and stayed with Kovalev in his Minsk apartment just before the blast. Investigators said Kovalev was aware of the blast plans.
But Kovalev pleaded not guilty and said he did not participate in the bombing. The men's defense attorneys said the evidence presented in court was trivial and inconclusive.
Stand by for another DECADE of wet summers, say Met Office meteorologists
Serena Williams apologises after comment that rape victim 'shouldn't have put herself in that position'
Bankers could face jail after report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
Feat of engineering: Incredible photographs show construction beneath New York's Second Avenue
World news in pictures
- 1 Serena Williams apologises after comment that rape victim 'shouldn't have put herself in that position'
- 2 Disability campaigners celebrate 'victory' after government rethink over plans to make it more difficult to claim disability benefits
- 3 Bankers could face jail after report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
- 4 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 5 We never knew Nigella Lawson - and we still don’t
£500 - £600 per day: Orgtel: FX Options Front Office Java / C# Developer - Ba...
£600 - £700 per day: Orgtel: Project Manager - Front Office - Regulatory IT C...
£33000 - £35000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitmen...
£21000 - £22000 per annum: Randstad Education Chelmsford: NQTs required now fo...