Welcome to the new Independent website. We hope you enjoy it and we value your feedback. Please contact us here.


Costa Concordia wreck: British man arrested


A British man and three other divers have been arrested on suspicion of trying to take souvenirs from the wreck of the Costa Concordia. The man, said to be in his forties and from London, was detained in the early hours of Saturday morning with two South Africans and an Irish national after they were spotted on CCTV by security staff.

The salvage company Titan-Micoperi said four employees had been dismissed after they were found on board the ship in an “off-limits” area.

The Costa Concordia hit rocks in January last year and capsized with the loss of 32 lives.