Don't leave our Asterix in a fix, dad
Daughter of artist Uderzo fears for comic hero after he sells stake in publishers
Thursday 15 January 2009
Asterix may still be fighting Roman invaders in comic strip adventures that have sold millions of copies around the world, but the plucky Gaul's author stands accused of surrender – to commercial interests.
And the accuser is none other than Albert Uderzo's daughter, Sylvie. She spoke out after her 81-year-old father sold his stake in Editions Albert René, which publishes Asterix, and the new owners said he had authorised them to continue the series after his death.
Sylvie Uderzo said the decision betrayed the spirit of the diminutive warrior who holds off hordes of hapless Romans from his besieged village with help of Getafix's magic potion. "I am entering resistance against perhaps the worst enemies of Asterix, the men of finance and industry," she wrote in a column published by Le Monde newspaper. "It's as if the gates of the Gaulish village had been thrown open to the Roman Empire," she said.
Albert Uderzo, an illustrator, created Asterix in 1959 with the late writer René Goscinny. The series is one of the biggest success stories in French publishing history, with 33 comic strip albums that have sold 325 million copies around the world in 107 languages and dialects, according to Editions Albert René. There is also a franchise for merchandise, a theme park outside Paris and eight movies.
Millions of French children have grown up with Asterix and his friend Obelix for the past five decades and millions more have continued to enjoy the books well into adulthood. With each new generation introduced to Asterix, the market continues to grow.
Sylvie Uderzo now claims Editions Albert René, of which she owns 40 per cent, is besieged by the publishing empire Hachette Livre, which has bought the other 60 per cent from her father and from Goscinny's daughter.
Albert Uderzo, who rarely speaks in public, could not be reached for comment. Spokeswomen for both Editions Albert René and for Hachette Livre, a unit of publishing-to-aerospace group Lagardere, also made no comment.
Sylvie Uderzo said her concern was that any Asterix stories written without input from her father would be of poor quality. But the stakes for her are also commercial. Editions Albert René was created in 1979, two years after the co-author Goscinny died suddenly. Albert Uderzo has continued the series on his own ever since, selling millions more books. Some Asterix fans refuse to accept the post-Goscinny books, claiming the stories are of inferior quality.
At the time of the sale of his stake to Hachette Livre, Uderzo was quoted as saying that he believed the new owners were "respectful of the moral and patrimonial rights of the authors", according to the literary newsletter La Republique des Lettres.
Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370: Wreckage could be found within a week as search reaches 'very critical juncture', says minister
Loch Ness Monster found on Apple Maps?
Royal Tour 2014: Is the Duchess of Cambridge the only person ever to climb into a fighter jet wearing a dress and high heels?
Kim Jong-un, crowds and contraband: Inside North Korea with the Pyongyang marathon winner
Cover up! Mother told to show less cleavage during Disneyland family trip: 'Are we supposed to wear turtlenecks our whole lives?'
The food poverty scandal that shames Britain: Nearly 1m people rely on handouts to eat – and benefit reforms may be to blame
Scottish independence: It is the English who should be on their knees, begging the Scots to vote ‘No’
Nigel Farage fatigue? Half of voters ‘immune’ to Ukip’s appeal
'Sinful': Video of British Muslims dancing to Pharrell Williams's hit Happy comes under attack
Nigel Farage: I’m taking on the status quo, and the Establishment’s fighting back
Refugee facing deportation from Sweden saved by fellow passengers refusing to let plane leave
- 1 'Natural' energy drink banned for containing erectile dysfunction drug
- 2 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 3 Dylan Tombides: West Ham confirm 20-year-old striker has died after battle with cancer
- 4 Loch Ness Monster found on Apple Maps?
- 5 Angus Steakhouse: How does tourist staple continue to thrive in today's gourmet market?
£150.00 per week: QA Apprenticeships: This company is a company that specializ...
£153.75 per week: QA Apprenticeships: This company is an innovative outsourcin...
£150.00 per week: QA Apprenticeships: This company has been providing on site ...
£150.00 per week: QA Apprenticeships: We've been supplying best of breed peopl...