Exploding bubble gum kills student
A Ukrainian chemistry student was killed chewing explosive bubble gum that tore off half of his face.
A police spokeswoman said the 25-year-old accidentally dipped the gum into explosives he was using for studies.
She said Vladimir Likhonos mistook the powder for the citric acid he often added to increase the gum's sour taste.
The spokeswoman said Mr Likhonos, from the town of Konotop in north-east Ukraine, blew off his jaw and most of the lower part of his face.
She said on the table where he had been working police found about 100 grammes of the suspected explosive, a powder that resembles citric acid but has yet to be identified.
"Anybody could have mixed them up," she said.
Medical workers who arrived on the scene attempted to treat his injuries but were unable to save him.
"Even some of our seasoned officers, who have seen a thing or two, even they were pretty badly shaken up by what they found," the police spokeswoman said.
Stand by for another DECADE of wet summers, say Met Office meteorologists
Serena Williams apologises after comment that rape victim 'shouldn't have put herself in that position'
Bankers could face jail after report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
Feat of engineering: Incredible photographs show construction beneath New York's Second Avenue
World news in pictures
- 1 Serena Williams apologises after comment that rape victim 'shouldn't have put herself in that position'
- 2 Disability campaigners celebrate 'victory' after government rethink over plans to make it more difficult to claim disability benefits
- 3 Bankers could face jail after report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
- 4 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 5 We never knew Nigella Lawson - and we still don’t
£500 - £600 per day: Orgtel: FX Options Front Office Java / C# Developer - Ba...
£600 - £700 per day: Orgtel: Project Manager - Front Office - Regulatory IT C...
£33000 - £35000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitmen...
£21000 - £22000 per annum: Randstad Education Chelmsford: NQTs required now fo...