Fires rage on Spain's Canary Islands
Sunday 02 August 2009
Officials say strong winds are fanning forest fires for a second day on the Spanish Canary Island of La Palma.
Regional government security counselor Jose Miguel Ruano says ground-based firefighters have had to retreat as the fire rages near La Palma's town of Fuencaliente.
Around 500 firefighters are deployed along with seven water-dropping aircraft. The flames have destroyed some 30 homes and several wineries, and some 4,000 residents were evacuated from the area on Saturday
La Palma is one of the least developed of the Canary Islands, off West Africa, and was praised by pop star Madonna in her song "La Isla Bonita."
Prime Minister Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero plans to visit today.
- 1 Michelle Rodriguez: Fast & Furious actor apologises after telling 'minorities' to stop taking on 'white' roles
- 2 Raif Badawi, the Saudi Arabian blogger sentenced to 1,000 lashes, may now face the death penalty
- 3 PornHub turns masturbation into energy in bid to save the planet
- 4 Robert Mugabe eats a zoo for 'obscene' 91st birthday party
- 5 The remarkable archaeological underwater discovery that could open up a new chapter in the study of European and British prehistory
New theory could prove how life began and disprove God
This is what it's like to be dead, according to a guy who died for a bit
'Jihadi John': CAGE representative storms off Sky News accusing Kay Burley of Islamophobia
Ukip would cut billions from Scottish budget to fund English tax cuts
Russia's roadmap for annexing eastern Ukraine 'leaked from Vladimir Putin's office'
Ukraine crisis: Top Chinese diplomat backs Putin and says West should 'abandon zero-sum mentality'
£9 per hour: Recruitment Genius: This role is based within a small family run ...
£28000 - £32000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This Design and marketing agenc...
£46000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This property investment firm are lookin...
£18000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This company specialises provid...