Gunman kills six in Slovakia attack
Monday 30 August 2010
A gunman killed six people and wounded at least nine in an attack at an apartment building in Bratislava on Monday, then committed suicide, police said.
The attacker, armed with a machine gun and two pistols, could not immediately be identified, and police they did not know what had motivated the attack.
The shooting took place at midmorning in the Devinska Nova Ves neighborhood on the outskirts of the Slovak capital. Five of the fatalities — four women and a man — were gunned down inside the apartment and another man was shot and killed outside it, police said.
The attacker did not see that several police had arrived at the building as he was leaving it, and he apparently fired indiscriminately at people in the area, wounding at least nine of them, including a policeman, authorities said.
Previous news reports had said 14 people were injured.
Emergency crews blocked off the scene, and authorities urged people to stay indoors.
sportBayern Munich 2 Manchester City 3: City come from two down to beat reigning European Champions
arts + ents... and a chance to paint Booker Prize winning author Hilary Mantel
- 1 Mountain goats' miraculous escape from avalanche captured in dramatic video footage
- 2 Gurdwaras-turned-food banks: Sikh temples are catering for rise in Britain’s hungry
- 3 Kenyan politician Mike Sonko left red-faced after photoshopping himself next to Nelson Mandela
- 4 Government delays EU immigration report because it is too positive
- 5 'I'm experiencing austerity as well', says Princess Michael of Kent
- < Previous
- Next >
£22000 - £25000 per annum + Benefits: Harrington Starr: Junior/Grad C# .NET Wi...
Negotiable: Harrington Starr: C#.NET Developer (VB6,.NET, SQL, Winforms) Wokin...
£35999 - £44001 per annum + Benefits: Pro-Recruitment Group: A Top Tier practi...
£41000 - £46000 per annum + Benefits: Pro-Recruitment Group: Academically Exce...