Italy slides into recession official statistics show
Italy has slid into recession, preliminary figures from the national statistical agency confirmed today.
ISTAT said the eurozone's third-largest economy contracted a quarterly rate of 0.7% in the last three months of 2011 - that was the second quarterly decline in a row, which is the official definition of a recession.
The Italian economy registered growth of 0.4% last year, compared with 1.4% a year earlier.
Italy is struggling to escape Europe's sovereign debt crisis with measures to cut spending and spur growth.
- 1 Freedom fighters? Cannibals? The truth about Syria’s rebels
- 2 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 3 Special Report: US troops are stationed in Japan to protect the nation. But to sex workers in Okinawa, they bring fear, not security
- 4 Vice pulls 'breathtakingly tasteless' fashion shoot glorifying the suicides of famous female authors from Sylvia Plath to Virginia Woolf
- 5 Iran to send 4,000 troops to aid President Assad forces in Syria
Negotiable Depending on Experience: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green R...
£25000 - £30000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitmen...
Negotiable: Progressive Recruitment: Dear Sumadhab, A growing engineering comp...
Negotiable: Randstad Education Ilford: We are currently recruiting for a Year ...