Some 500 soldiers have been deployed to help battle a wildfire authorities believe was started intentionally, which has burned 30 square miles in northern Spain.
Aerial images showed clouds of smoke billowing skyward as the blaze cut across pine tree hillsides around the town of Castrocontrigo, some 320 kilometers northwest of Madrid.
The fire has not led to the evacuation of any residents so far.
Castrocontrigo Mayor Aureliano Fernandez told Cadena SER radio Tuesday that authorities believe the fire was started intentionally and the person responsible tried to start one in the area last week.
The Agriculture Ministry says 1,400 square kilometers of woodland has been burnt in around 1,000 wildfires between Jan. 1 and Aug. 14, most of which have been started by people.