Manila shooting: Gunman shoots himself dead after failed robbery at casino hotel in Philippines

Victims 'suffer severe gunshot wounds', local media reports

Click to follow
The Independent Online

A gunman's attack on a hotel and casino complex in the Philippines was a robbery and not a terrorist attack, the country's national police chief has said.

Police said the assailant shot himself dead following the incident on Thursday evening. 

The Resorts World Manila complex was on lockdown following reports of a shooting earlier in the day.

The incident triggered a huge official response with armed police and the army involved.

The Manila Standard reported that some victims had suffered severe gunshot wounds.

Donald Trump had called it a "terrorist attack" and said he was monitoring the situation.

The Philippines fire protection bureau said there was fire broke out on the second floor of Resorts World in the wake of the robbery attempt.

Resorts World Manila said on Twitter: "The company has followed emergency protocols to ensure safety of guests and employees as far as the situation allowed."

"We ask for your prayers and consideration during these trying times."

Local journalist April Chang shared this Facebook video from the scene.  

NBC News cited a source as saying "there are quite a few injuries".

Pictures circulated on social media of the resort, close to the city's airport, showing plumes of smoke pouring from a building.

 

Comments