Ahmadinejad: I’ll join nuclear talks if West eases pressure
Sunday 10 February 2013
President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said today that he was ready to hold talks with the US if the West stopped pressuring his country.
It was the latest in a series of hints from leaders in both Washington and Tehran about the prospect of direct bilateral negotiations over Iran’s nuclear programme.
However, Washington is highly unlikely to relax sanctions, and Iran’s Supreme Leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, who has the final say on key state decisions, says the Islamic Republic will not negotiate under threat. This makes it hard to envision how talks could take place.
“You pull away the gun from the face of the Iranian nation, and I myself will enter the talks with you,” Mr Ahmadinejad, pictured, said at a ceremony marking the anniversary of the 1979 revolution.
He said the West had recently taken a “better” tone towards Iran – a nod to more conciliatory statements by the US Vice-President, Joe Biden, last week. But the Iranian President said this on its own was not enough.
Anti-gay hate preacher accidentally tweets 4,000 followers cartoon clip of him 'confessing' to be a 'homosexual sodomite'
Woman opens professional cuddling shop – gets 10,000 customers in first week
Grayson Perry: London needs affordable housing because 'rich people don't create culture'
Kenya bus attack: Al-Shabaab militants slaughter 28 non-Muslims who failed to recite Koran
That Sugar Film director Damon Gameua receives shocking diagnosis after going on healthy sugar diet for just 60 days
- 1 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 2 Tower Bridge glass walkway 'smashed' by night-time visitor dropping bottle of beer
- 3 Anti-gay hate preacher accidentally tweets 4,000 followers cartoon clip of him 'confessing' to be a 'homosexual sodomite'
- 4 Woman opens professional cuddling shop – gets 10,000 customers in first week
- 5 Grayson Perry: London needs affordable housing because 'rich people don't create culture'
Voluntary Only - Expenses Reimbursed: Reach Volunteering: A trustee (company d...
£45000 - £65000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is a fantastic opportunity...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This is an opportunity to join a successful an...
£25000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Digital Sales Account Manager...