Ahmadinejad: I’ll join nuclear talks if West eases pressure
Sunday 10 February 2013
President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said today that he was ready to hold talks with the US if the West stopped pressuring his country.
It was the latest in a series of hints from leaders in both Washington and Tehran about the prospect of direct bilateral negotiations over Iran’s nuclear programme.
However, Washington is highly unlikely to relax sanctions, and Iran’s Supreme Leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, who has the final say on key state decisions, says the Islamic Republic will not negotiate under threat. This makes it hard to envision how talks could take place.
“You pull away the gun from the face of the Iranian nation, and I myself will enter the talks with you,” Mr Ahmadinejad, pictured, said at a ceremony marking the anniversary of the 1979 revolution.
He said the West had recently taken a “better” tone towards Iran – a nod to more conciliatory statements by the US Vice-President, Joe Biden, last week. But the Iranian President said this on its own was not enough.
Stephen Hawking's wife Jane Wilde on their marriage breakdown: 'The family were left behind'
Raif Badawi, the Saudi Arabian blogger sentenced to 1,000 lashes, may now face death penalty
Someone has actually got a tattoo of that dress
PornHub turns masturbation into energy in bid to save the planet
White and gold or blue and black – what colour is the dress? An eyewitness gives a definitive answer
- 1 Raif Badawi, the Saudi Arabian blogger sentenced to 1,000 lashes, may now face death penalty
- 2 PornHub turns masturbation into energy in bid to save the planet
- 3 Robert Mugabe eats a zoo for 'obscene' 91st birthday party
- 4 The remarkable archaeological underwater discovery that could open up a new chapter in the study of European and British prehistory
- 5 The jihadi girls who went to Syria weren't just radicalised by Isis — they were groomed
£7 - £8 per hour: Recruitment Genius: This high quality thread manufacturer ba...
£22000 per annum + pension,bonus,career progression: Ashdown Group: An establi...
£40000 per annum + realistic targets: Ashdown Group: A thriving recruitment co...
£18000 per annum: Ashdown Group: A highly reputable business is looking to rec...