Brahimi accused of 'flagrant bias' by Damascus
Thursday 10 January 2013
Damascus denounced the international envoy, Lakhdar Brahimi, as “flagrantly biased” today, casting doubt on how long the UN-Arab League mediator can pursue his peace mission.
The foreign ministry was responding to remarks by Mr Brahimi in which he ruled out a role for President Bashar al-Assad in a transitional government and effectively called for him to quit.
“In Syria … what people are saying is that a family ruling for 40 years is a little bit too long,” Mr Brahimi told the BBC, referring to Mr Assad, who inherited his post from his father Hafez al-Assad. “President Assad could take the lead in responding to the aspiration of his people rather than resisting it.”
The foreign ministry in Damascus said Mr Brahimi’s comments showed “he is flagrantly biased for those who are conspiring against Syria and its people”.
Liam Gallagher brands Kanye West 'utter s**t' during BRIT Awards performance
Isis burns thousands of books and rare manuscripts from Mosul's libraries
Husband and wife die holding hands within hours of each other after 67 years of marriage
Mohammed Emwazi: Family of man named as 'Jihadi John' described by neighbours as 'normal Muslim family'
Mohammed Emwazi: Nine things we know about man named as Isis militant 'Jihadi John'
- 1 Isis burns thousands of books and rare manuscripts from Mosul's libraries
- 2 Scarlett Johansson new band 'already hit with legal complaint' from another The Singles
- 3 Husband and wife die holding hands within hours of each other after 67 years of marriage
- 4 The remarkable archaeological underwater discovery that could open up a new chapter in the study of European and British prehistory
- 5 'Jihadi John': CAGE representative storms off Sky News accusing Kay Burley of Islamaphobia
£23000 - £26000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This small, friendly, proactive...
£14500 - £22800 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is a fantastic opportunity...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: A Software Developer is required to join a lea...
Excellent Salary: Austen Lloyd: A first rate opportunity to join a top ranking...