Briton shot dead in Libya named as energy worker Mark De Salis
Energy worker Mr De Salis was killed alongside a female from New Zealand
A British man who was shot dead in Libya has been named by the UK Foreign Office as energy worker Mark De Salis.
His family said they are "shocked and devastated" by his killing, in a statement released through the Foreign Office.
Mr De Salis and a woman from New Zealand, who were described as close friends by his family, were shot dead near the coastal area of Mellitah in the west of the country, according to a Libyan security source.
The woman's name has not yet been released.
He had been working in Tripoli in Libya for six years. He worked for First Engineering and was currently employed as a power manager bringing generators to Tripoli to provide electricity.
A Foreign Office statement released yesterday said it was "deeply saddened by the murder of a British national and New Zealander in Libya", and called for an investigation into the murders by the Libyan government.
"Our Chargé d’Affaires has raised the shooting with the Libyan authorities and we are liaising closely with them on follow-up", the statement said.
"We call upon the Libyan Government to carry out a thorough investigation in to this tragic incident and to continue to do all it can to bring to justice the perpetrators of this appalling crime, as it strives to build strong rule of law in Libya."
Additional reporting by Press Association
- 1 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 2 Tower Bridge glass walkway 'smashed' by night-time visitor dropping bottle of beer
- 3 Anti-gay hate preacher accidentally tweets 4,000 followers cartoon clip of him 'confessing' to be a 'homosexual sodomite'
- 4 Woman opens professional cuddling shop – gets 10,000 customers in first week
- 5 Grayson Perry: London needs affordable housing because 'rich people don't create culture'
£25k + commission + benefits: Savvy Media Ltd: Find a job you love and never h...
Excellent Salary: Austen Lloyd: CORPORATE - Corporate Solicitor NQ+ An excelle...
Voluntary Only - Expenses Reimbursed: Reach Volunteering: A trustee (company d...
£45000 - £65000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is a fantastic opportunity...