Briton shot dead in Libya named as energy worker Mark De Salis
Energy worker Mr De Salis was killed alongside a female from New Zealand
A British man who was shot dead in Libya has been named by the UK Foreign Office as energy worker Mark De Salis.
His family said they are "shocked and devastated" by his killing, in a statement released through the Foreign Office.
Mr De Salis and a woman from New Zealand, who were described as close friends by his family, were shot dead near the coastal area of Mellitah in the west of the country, according to a Libyan security source.
The woman's name has not yet been released.
He had been working in Tripoli in Libya for six years. He worked for First Engineering and was currently employed as a power manager bringing generators to Tripoli to provide electricity.
A Foreign Office statement released yesterday said it was "deeply saddened by the murder of a British national and New Zealander in Libya", and called for an investigation into the murders by the Libyan government.
"Our Chargé d’Affaires has raised the shooting with the Libyan authorities and we are liaising closely with them on follow-up", the statement said.
"We call upon the Libyan Government to carry out a thorough investigation in to this tragic incident and to continue to do all it can to bring to justice the perpetrators of this appalling crime, as it strives to build strong rule of law in Libya."
Additional reporting by Press Association
- 1 Tidal launch: The most pretentious lines from Alicia Keys' valedictory speech
- 2 Britain First 'acting like Ukip henchmen' by invading meeting of activists in revenge for pub protest against Nigel Farage
- 3 Katie Hopkins attacked me on Twitter — so I reported her to the police for inciting racial hatred
- 4 Tidal: Jay Z's Spotify rival streaming service criticised for making wealthy artists even richer
- 5 Brixton squat flats now costing up to £3k per month show how out of control rent is in London
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This leading supplier of compliance software a...
£24000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The Associate System Engineer r...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: An Executive Assistant is required to join a l...
£45000 - £50000 per annum + benefits : Ashdown Group: A highly successful, glo...