Fan kills player as he goes for goal
Monday 16 March 2009
An Iraqi football player was shot dead as he was about to score an equaliser.
The striker from the Buhairat amateur team had only the goalkeeper to beat in the match yesterday near Baghdad when a supporter of the rival Sinjar club shot him in the head in the final minute of play.
Sinjar were leading 1-0 when the shooting occurred. Police said a spectator was arrested.
More Iraqis are turning out for sports events now that security is improving. Major matches in Baghdad are heavily guarded but security in amateur games in smaller cities is often lax.
- 1 Are you turning into your dad? The top ten signs you've embraced dad-ism revealed as survey says 38 is age men turn into their father
- 2 Overheard in Waitrose: documenting the chatter in 'Britain's poshest supermarket'
- 3 Video of British Muslims dancing to Pharrell Williams's hit Happy attacked as 'sinful'
- 4 24 people applied for the 'world's toughest job', here are their interviews
- 5 Grace Dent on TV: Game of Thrones has jumped the shark
£150.00 per week: QA Apprenticeships: This company is a company that specializ...
£153.75 per week: QA Apprenticeships: This company is an innovative outsourcin...
£150.00 per week: QA Apprenticeships: This company has been providing on site ...
£150.00 per week: QA Apprenticeships: We've been supplying best of breed peopl...