General's death blamed on Syrian rebels
Wednesday 31 October 2012
Syrian warplanes bombed rebel targets with renewed intensity yesterday as the widely ignored four-day truce between President Bashar al-Assad's forces and insurgents ended.
State television said "terrorists" had assassinated an air force general, Abdullah Mahmoud al-Khalidi, in a Damascus suburb, the latest of several rebel attacks on senior officials.
Air strikes hit suburbs of Damascus, outlying areas in the central city of Homs, and the northern rebel-held town of Maarat al-Numan, activists said.
And why are 'southern' ways of speaking spreading north?
Ten best places to live in the UK: Solihull comes top
Mysterious glowing ‘alien-like creature’ spotted in waters of Bristol Harbour. A jellyfish - or something fishy?
Nelson Mandela: From 'terrorist' to tea with the Queen
UK weather: Thousands evacuated along East Coast as more surge tides forecast
Nelson Mandela death: his life in pictures
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Nelson Mandela life story: An unconquerable spirit
- 3 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 4 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 5 Nelson Mandela: From 'terrorist' to tea with the Queen
- < Previous
- Next >
Negotiable: Capita Education Resourcing Permanent Team: Teacher of English MP...
Negotiable: Capita Education Resourcing Permanent Team: Out of Hours Club Mana...
Negotiable: Capita Education Resourcing Permanent Team: Room Leaders required ...
Negotiable: Capita Education Resourcing Permanent Team: Teacher of MFL German...