Hamas rocket killed baby in Gaza
Tuesday 12 March 2013
An errant Hamas rocket probably killed the baby son of a BBC journalist in Gaza during the brief war between the Palestinian group and Israel last November, according to a UN report into the incident.
A picture of video editor Jihad Mashhrawi cradling the body of his son, Omar, was splashed on the front pages of newspapers around the world, with many suggesting he had died at the hands of an Israeli air strike. But after visiting the site, the UN Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights said that a Palestinian rocket falling short of its target in Israel was responsible.
The UN says 33 other Palestinian children died in Israeli attacks during the eight-day conflict.
Stand by for another DECADE of wet summers, say Met Office meteorologists
Bosses of collapsed banks should be sent to jail, banking standards commission tells George Osborne
Feat of engineering: Incredible photographs show construction beneath New York's Second Avenue
World news in pictures
Google challenges US surveillance gagging order
- 1 Diary of Second World War German teenager reveals young lives untroubled by Nazi Holocaust in wartime Berlin
- 2 Bosses of collapsed banks should be sent to jail, banking standards commission tells George Osborne
- 3 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 4 Uri Geller psychic spy? The spoon-bender's secret life as a Mossad and CIA agent revealed
- 5 Vice pulls 'breathtakingly tasteless' fashion shoot glorifying the suicides of famous female authors from Sylvia Plath to Virginia Woolf
£30000 - £35000 per annum: May & Stephens Recruitment Group: If you're an ambi...
£43000 - £50000 per annum + £5K Car Allowance + Bens : May & Stephens Recrui...
£18000 - £22000 per annum + Bens : May & Stephens Recruitment Group: If you're...
£16000 - £23000 per annum + OTE £23k - £45k: Connex Education: Connex Educatio...