Infant is killed in Israeli attack
Thursday 28 February 2008
A baby was killed in an air raid on Hamas government buildings in Gaza last night when the Israeli military retaliated for a lethal rocket attack launched by the Palestinian militant group.
A 47-year-old student was killed outside his college in the Israeli border town of Sderot during a heavy barrage of missiles launched by Hamas after five of its militants died in an earlier Israeli strike on Gaza. He was in a parked car when one of at least 30 rockets fired at Sderot, Ashkelon and nearby communities struck his vehicle, inflicting lethal wounds to his chest.
The death – the first in an rocket attack on Israel from Gaza since May last year – came on a day of violence in which at least 12 Palestinians were killed in Gaza and the West Bank. The five militants, described by Hamas leasders as "five of our best fighters", were killed when a van in which they were travelling was attacked from the air in southern Gaza.
After nightfall, a third Israeli strike, aimed at a rocket squad, killed two children as they left a mosque, Palestinian sources said. The Israeli military said it carried out the airstrike but had no knowledge of civilians being hit.
Saudi Arabia mosque bombing: Two volunteer security guards hailed as heroes for stopping Isis suicide bomber reaching worshippers
Maisie Williams has an excellent message for one confused fan
Archaeologists discover 2,400-year-old gold bongs in Russia
Tampon tax scrapped in Canada after petition convinces conservative government
Migrants in Kos: Photos show real tragedy after British tourists complain of 'awkward' holidays
- 1 Saudi Arabia mosque bombing: Two volunteer security guards hailed as heroes for stopping Isis suicide bomber reaching worshippers
- 2 Maisie Williams has an excellent message for one confused fan
- 3 Puerto Rico, island of lost dreams: People are leaving the debt-hit territory in droves as near neighbour Cuba's star rises
- 4 Tampon tax scrapped in Canada after petition convinces conservative government
- 5 Kate Moss on the naked Calvin Klein shoot and the obsession that ended her relationship
£16500 - £18500 per annum: Recruitment Genius: One of the leading Mercedes-Ben...
£27500 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an exciting opportunity...
£19500 - £23500 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Experienced B2B Telemarketer wa...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This global company are looking for two Showro...