Iran threatens swift retaliation on US bases
Wednesday 04 July 2012
Iran's semi-official news agency Fars is reporting the country can destroy nearby US military bases and strike Israel within minutes of an attack on the Islamic Republic.
Today's report quotes Gen. Ami Ali Hajizadeh of the powerful Revolutionary Guards as saying US bases, and Israel — which he referred to as "occupied territories" — are in range of Iran's missiles and could be struck as a retaliatory measure.
"Measures have been taken so that we could destroy all these bases in the early minutes of an attack," said Hajizadeh, chief of the Guards' airspace division.
Iran and the West are at odds over Tehran's nuclear ambitions and neither Israel nor the U.S. have ruled out a military strike on the country if diplomacy fails to stop its nuclear program.
Weather bomb in pictures: Storms cuts power for tens of thousands – and snow is on the way
Jessica Chambers: 19-year-old woman 'doused with lighter fluid and burned alive' in the US
Russell Brand calls Nigel Farage 'poundshop Enoch Powell' in BBC Question Time debate
Russell Brand was rendered speechless on Question Time by this man
Fury at Airbus after it hints the super-jumbo may be mothballed
- 1 Nigel Farage: Me vs Russell Brand on Question Time – he's got the chest hair but where are his ideas?
- 2 Harry Potter fans can apply to the Hogwarts-inspired College of Wizardry
- 3 Jessica Chambers: 19-year-old woman 'doused with lighter fluid and burned alive' in the US
- 4 Russell Brand calls Nigel Farage 'poundshop Enoch Powell' in BBC Question Time debate
- 5 Orange Wednesdays are no more
£65000 - £80000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Finance Director required to jo...
£15000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is a unique opportunity fo...
£50000 per annum + 26 days holiday,pension: Ashdown Group: A highly successful...
£27000 per annum + pension + holidays: The Jenrick Group: A Quality Technician...