July set to be deadliest month yet
Monday 23 July 2012
An activist group claimed yesterday that more than 2,750 people had been killed in Syria so far this month, bringing the death toll since the conflict began to more than 19,000.
The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said that if the current pace of killing continued through the end of July, it will be the deadliest month since the Syrian uprising erupted in March 2011.
Rami Abdul-Rahman, head of the group, said that 2,752 people – 1,933 civilians, 738 government troops and 81 rebels – were killed in the first 21 days of July. Mr Abdul-Rahman said June had been the deadliest month so far with 2,924 deaths. The average daily death toll in June was 94, while this month it has increased to an average of 131 a day.
With journalists denied access to most of Syria, it is impossible to confirm the death tolls given by Syrian opposition groups. The UN has confirmed at least 10,000 deaths in the conflict.
Ian McKellen and Patrick Stewart bromance continues: X-Men star gushes about 'pussy cat' BFF Patrick Stewart
David Cameron stung by jellyfish: PM hurt after ignoring advice of locals while on holiday
South Korea ferry: Vice principal rescued from sinking ship found hanged
Hollande's affair: Catherine Deneuve and Sophie Marceau in war of words over President's relationship with Julie Gayet
Kim Jong-un, crowds and contraband kit: Inside North Korea with the the Pyongyang marathon winner
- 1 KFC 'sorry' after lesbian couple are kicked out of Bath restaurant for 'heavy petting'
- 2 Dylan Tombides: West Ham confirm 20-year-old striker has died after battle with cancer
- 3 24 people applied for the 'world's toughest job', here are their interviews
- 4 'Sinful': Video of British Muslims dancing to Pharrell Williams's hit Happy comes under attack
- 5 PFA Player of the Year: Luis Suarez, Daniel Sturridge and Steven Gerrard all nominated as Liverpool dominate award shortlist
£150.00 per week: QA Apprenticeships: This company is a company that specializ...
£153.75 per week: QA Apprenticeships: This company is an innovative outsourcin...
£150.00 per week: QA Apprenticeships: This company has been providing on site ...
£150.00 per week: QA Apprenticeships: We've been supplying best of breed peopl...