Men turn tables on regime by donning headscarves and dresses
Monday 14 December 2009
Hundreds of pictures of men in women's clothing have been posted online by Iranian opposition supporters in mockery of what they say is a crude attempt by the authorities to humiliate and discredit a reformist student leader by photographing him in a head scarf and chador.
The student, Majid Tavakoli, was arrested after he gave a speech urging fellow students at Amir Kabir university to reject "tyranny," in protests which swept the country last week. Iranian state media released photographs of Mr Tavakoli wearing a black chador, and a blue scarf around his unshaven face.
A statement claimed that he had dressed up in the all-encompassing chador, the dress favoured by the most devout Iranian women, to escape his campus after the speech but was caught by security forces.
In revenge, opposition groups flooded websites including Facebook with pictures of men wearing headscarves and chadors.
Men taking part in the "Be a Man" web campaign draped their heads with colourful scarves in hundreds of mocking self-portraits. Some were bearded, others smiled for the camera, while some covered their mouths. Many wore green, the adopted colour of the opposition and flashed "V for victory" signs.
Exclusive: World’s most pristine waters are polluted by US Navy human waste
Saint Patrick's Day: Google Doodle marks patron saint of Ireland - here are 10 things you didn't know about the man
Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370: Did jetliner fly into area controlled by Taliban? Net widens after claims final satellite signal could have been sent from the ground
Britain’s five richest families worth as much as poorest 20 per cent, says Oxfam
Nasa-funded study warns of ‘collapse of civilisation’ in coming decades
- 1 Is your name now 'banned' in Saudi Arabia?
- 2 Gender-specific books demean all our children. So the Independent on Sunday will no longer review anything marketed to exclude either sex
- 3 Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370: Did jetliner fly into area controlled by Taliban? Net widens after claims final satellite signal could have been sent from the ground
- 4 Nasa-funded study warns of ‘collapse of civilisation’ in coming decades
- 5 'Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 plane found in Bermuda Triangle!' Viral Facebook links are profiting hackers
£50000 - £60000 per annum: Pro-Recruitment Group: This leading Big 4 practice ...
Negotiable: Randstad Education Group: The school, the child…We are proud to su...
£1000 per annum: Inspiring Interns: A full service agency, focused around plan...
Negotiable: Randstad Education Manchester: Nursery nurse jobs in ManchesterWe ...