Netanyahu attacks Gaza pull-out
Thursday 12 May 2005
Benjamin Netanyahu, Israel's right-wing Finance Minister, has coupled a stinging denunciation of Ariel Sharon's Gaza disengagement plan with his clearest assertion yet that he is determined to succeed him as Prime Minister.
In two newspaper interviews, Mr Netanyahu, a former prime minister, was studiedly coy about confirming that he intended to challenge Mr Sharon for the Likud Party leadership ahead of a general election which has to take place before November 2006.
And in terms which will disappoint some of the most extreme opponents of the plan to withdraw 8,500 settlers in Gaza, he all but acknowledged that the last chance to reverse the plan had been lost. "I think that's been decided," he said.
But he sought to define himself as the standard-bearer of hard-right disenchantment with Mr Sharon by saying in Yediot Ahronot that unilateral withdrawal from Gaza would be a "prize for terrorism... morally and practically".
And he told the Jerusalem Post: "If you ask me 'do you think I can lead this country, am I ready to do so?'... the answer is yes."
* Israel has provoked a furious reaction from Palestinian leaders by closing two voter registration offices in East Jerusalem, saying that all voting arrangements within the city had to be "co-ordinated" with Israel.
Game of Thrones author George RR Martin says 'f*** you' to fans who fear he will die before finishing Westeros saga
Jennifer Lawrence face palms Emma Watson at Christian Dior show in Paris
Gingers face extinction due to climate change, scientists warn
Pamplona Running of the Bulls 2014: Briton critically injured in San Fermin festival
Elephant 'cries' while being rescued after 50 years of abuse in India
- 1 Howard Jacobson: Let’s see the 'criticism' of Israel for what it really is
- 2 Gingers face extinction due to climate change, scientists warn
- 3 Brazil vs Germany World Cup 2014: In defence of Mesut Ozil - the Arsenal midfielder works magic in the shadows
- 4 Pornhub pleads with users to stop uploading videos of Brazil 'getting f**ked by Germany' in World Cup match
- 5 Give childhood back to children: if we want our offspring to have happy, productive and moral lives, we must allow more time for play, not less
£25000 per annum: Charter Selection: Exciting sports company with a strong bra...
competitive: Progressive Recruitment: I have a contract Pipe Fitter role avail...
£18000 - £23000 per annum + Comission: SThree: SThree, International Recruitme...
£33000 - £40000 per annum + bonus + benefits: Ashdown Group: Executive Assista...