New Qatari emir refuses to ‘take direction’ from anyone
Wednesday 26 June 2013
In his accession speech, Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad al-Thani, who was handed power by his father on Tuesday in a rare example of a hereditary Arab ruler stepping down, said that the Gulf state would not “take direction” from anyone.
The new emir’s first address as head of state coincided with a cabinet reshuffle that saw Prime Minister Sheikh Hamad bin Jassim al-Thani, a force behind Qatar’s support for the Arab Spring revolts, replaced as premier and foreign minister, but he is expected to retain his powerful post as vice-chairman of the Qatar Investment Authority, a wealth fund worth between $100-$200bn.
Sheikh Tamim, 33, added that sectarianism threatened to weaken Arab unity at a time when Syria’s war has raised communal tension. “As Arabs we reject splitting countries on a sectarian basis... because this split allows for foreign powers to interfere in the internal affairs of Arabs and influence them.”
Greek hospitals cannot afford painkillers, scissors or sheets as budget cuts bite
Purity balls: Girls in the US making virginity pledges as fathers vow to 'protect purity'
Female Muay Thai champion hustles coaches to give them a beating
Puerto Rico, island of lost dreams: People are leaving the debt-hit territory in droves as near neighbour Cuba's star rises
Picture of couple posing with beached dolphin 'that later died' causes outrage
- 1 Isis 'jihadi bride' claims forced sex with Yazidi girls is never rape because Koran condones it
- 2 New Zealand 'the best country to work as a prostitute', says sex worker advocacy group
- 3 Purity balls: Girls in the US making virginity pledges as fathers vow to 'protect purity'
- 4 Mother 'will allow son's circumcision in return for release from prison'
- 5 Female Muay Thai champion hustles coaches to give them a beating
£40-50K: Guru Careers: We are seeking an experienced Software / C# Developer w...
£35 - 40k + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Software Developer (JavaS...
£18000 - £23000 per annum + Commission: SThree: As a Trainee Recruitment Consu...