Palestinians hold first Bethlehem marathon
Sunday 21 April 2013
Palestinians and their supporters are running the West Bank's first marathon.
Itidal Abdul-Ghani of the Palestinian Olympic Committee says some 1,000 people are participating in Sunday's race, which includes shorter 10-kilometer and 20-kilometer options.
The marathon, taking place in cool, rainy weather, loops four times around Bethlehem, the traditional birthplace of Jesus.
Abdul-Ghani says that because of Israel's separation barrier surrounding parts of the city, and its control over nearby land, there's not enough space to do a straight 42-kilometer (26 mile) run.
Israel says the barrier is needed to keep out attackers. Palestinians say it's a land grab.
The marathon comes six days after the Boston Marathon bombings and coincides with the London Marathon.
Some runners wore T-shirts honoring the Boston Marathon victims.
Michelle Rodriguez: Fast & Furious actor apologises after telling 'minorities' to stop taking on 'white' roles
Boris Nemtsov shot dead: Putin critic may have been murdered by Islamic extremists, says president-led committee
British are sexually uptight, dirty and drink too much – according to Spanish book
Raif Badawi, the Saudi Arabian blogger sentenced to 1,000 lashes, may now face the death penalty
PornHub turns masturbation into energy in bid to save the planet
- 1 Michelle Rodriguez: Fast & Furious actor apologises after telling 'minorities' to stop taking on 'white' roles
- 2 Raif Badawi, the Saudi Arabian blogger sentenced to 1,000 lashes, may now face the death penalty
- 3 PornHub turns masturbation into energy in bid to save the planet
- 4 Robert Mugabe eats a zoo for 'obscene' 91st birthday party
- 5 The remarkable archaeological underwater discovery that could open up a new chapter in the study of European and British prehistory
£9 per hour: Recruitment Genius: This role is based within a small family run ...
£28000 - £32000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This Design and marketing agenc...
£46000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This property investment firm are lookin...
£18000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This company specialises provid...