Red Cross begins Homs evacuation
The Red Cross has begun evacuating wounded women and children from Homs after three weeks of intense shelling by government forces.
Twenty people were evacuated from the Baba Amr neighbourhood last night. Syrian Arab Red Crescent ambulances moved in after negotiations with government forces earlier in the day.
At least two foreign reporters were wounded in a rocket attack that hit Baba Amr earlier this week. The French journalist Edith Bouvier, who suffered a broken leg in the attack, made an appeal by video for a humanitarian corridor to be opened so that she could be evacuated to receive medical treatment. Also stranded in the city is the British photographer Paul Conroy, who suffered minor injuries. A Red Cross spokesman Hicham Hassan said the Syrian Red Crescent evacuated people to the city's al-Amin hospital. It is thought that the foreign journalists were not among those who left.
Beijing shuts down thousands of websites in online pornography purge
LAPD releases haunting crime scene photos from its archives
Peaches Geldof funeral: Bob Geldof leads tributes at emotional service in same church she married husband Thomas Cohen and mother Paula Yates was buried
Duke and Duchess of Cambridge photographed with Prince George off-duty may spark privacy row
Malaysia Airlines flight MH370: Concerns grow among search officials that missing jet ‘may have landed somewhere else’
- 1 David Cameron's constituency office calls police on food bank campaigners Bishop of Oxford and Reverend Keith Hebden
- 2 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 3 Women take on Bear Grylls over 'sexist' male-only desert island show
- 4 Ultra-Orthodox Jews are resisting new laws which force them to join the army
- 5 Malaysia Airlines flight MH370: Concerns grow among search officials that missing jet ‘may have landed somewhere else’
Very Competitive: Austen Lloyd: Clinical Negligence - Oxford An opportunity f...
£55000 - £62000 per annum + outstanding benefits and bonus: Pro-Recruitment Gr...
£120 per day: Randstad Education Luton: Reception teacher required for an Outs...
£35000 - £45000 per annum + excellent company benefits : Pro-Recruitment Group...